The Great Divide

Academics in what degree areas? And please don’t say “overall”. Private schools get a boost in academics due to them having smaller classes. Are the majority of their professors world class? Probably. That doesn’t mean we don’t have world class professors who are comparable (we do, check those salaries). Outside of Baylor Law or a TCU MBA, they are very similar to our university. We are also a Tier 1 research school. The only thing that we have not been comparable to in P-5 aspects is facilities. However, if you’ve been paying attention the past few years, Renu and Fertita have made massive strides to improve that.

Great, but what we really need is for OU to lose once again. That throws both the B12 and the CFP into chaos.

Let me do a 2-fer here. First, UH is already more attractive nationally than most of the Big 12, including the schools mentioned. Thats one of the reasons big 12 schools fear letting UH into their little conference. It just eats Tech fans alive that UH is so successful and they are doomed to middle class mediocracy. Outside of a few delusional high school students who the hell wants to live in Lubbock, Texas? And, outside of Texas no one, and I mean NO one, knows about or cares about Texas Tech. Throw in TCU and all the rest. They all exist to uplift UT and OU. UH would not have that role, as we have demonstrated over and over. We win!

Second, the academic ranking system is badly flawed and that is acknowledged by academicians all over the country. UH academics are first class, and that’s not just being a homer. One of the challenges of being an urban school is in being willing to admit poorly performing high school students in the hope that somehow, miraculously, they would be able to to major college academic work. Add to that admitting a large number of students whose main focus in life is going to work and supporting a family. Might as well be at the University of Phoenix. And these days, more and more are.

All that is changing and change is happening fast. UH is closing the back door where so many aspiring but poorly qualified students find themselves. They are doing this by setting realistic admission standards and providing alternate routes through our system schools and community colleges. Stay tuned, It’s getting better faster than many realize.

2 Likes

that’s the current state for sure. we’ve got to work to change it!

I totally misread what you wrote earlier. I agree completely.