Time for a Coaching Change?

Gosh I wish I wouldn’t have watched that triple play. What an embarrassment.

2 Likes

Pitcher 1
Catcher 2
First Base 3
Second Base 4
Third Base 5
Short Stop 6
Now I believe . . . . .
Left Field 7
Center Field 8
Right Field 9

Explanation on decision to not run . . . . . Clock was running out and it was 4th down, so QB threw the ball out of bounds to stop the clock . . . . .

AJ Hinch is available RIGHT NOW . . . . .

4 Likes

If/when they make a change, I’m ok with it. This program is heading in the wrong direction. Might be time for a change in philosophy.

1 Like

I’ll donate a garbage can.

9 Likes

That is actually not a bad idea. His mindset and personality would translate well to college. Him coaching here would get some eyes on UH while giving him a chance at redemption. We took at shot at hiring Sampson so why not Hinch?

4 Likes

Probably not since he only has a year suspension and have a coach now

The question is does he want to coach college ball? Many say that he will probably get picked up by a big league team after his suspension.

Also- baseball is a funny game. All it takes is a couple of guys getting hot and have a good series and getting on a winning streak to turn things around. Get in a good groove. The Astros made the World Series after starting off winning 15 games? The season is not over.

2 Likes

Newsflash…AJ Hinch will not be coaching at UH. The OP threw it in as a joke. Anyone buying in to it also thinks he’ll be pushing Make UH Great Again hats.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure if that was sarcastic or not. I’m still not sure. But no, I don’t expect ih to even ever be a candidate.

Newsflash…TW is not going anywhere. Last year he signed an extension through 2023. This is for the most part a non revenue sport for the university. The only way TW is gone in the next few years is if he takes another job…but this is home for him.

This thread should not be 70-something replies long. TW is the coach and will be for the next three years at a minimum so I encourage everyone to support the team (even though that is very hard right now).

2 Likes

I see the amount of replies as people are concerned with the downward trend of one our stronger programs. With all the facility upgrades you would think the trend would be the opposite.

6 Likes

I could see a change happening after 2022 but agree it won’t happen in the near future.

That said, I don’t have a problem with people venting on a message board or want to tell them what to post about.

2 Likes

Yup. Always telling when someone wants to dictate what is discussed on a public forum and castigate others who disagree. I’ll likely show (significant) interest again when a new course is set - whenever that happens. Otherwise, it’s not worth it. Disappointing…we have flirted with the CWS too many times over the last 23 years only to fall short each and every time.

Given where we are located UH should be the baseball version of the U of Minnesota hockey program.

2 Likes

I agree with that.

That said, I’m not sure how many more sub-par seasons our school is willing to tolerate. Wasn’t Noble fired under more or less comparable conditions?

Rayner was fired 2 years after he last made a regional. He made a regional 2/7 years as coach at UH.

In other words, Todd isn’t there yet. If Todd misses a regional this year and next, he’s in the ballpark.

Here is the comparison between Noble and Whitting in their first 9 years:

Noble: 6 Regionals/3 Super Regionals/3 Conference Titles/1 Conf. Tourny Champ

Whitting: 4 Regionals/1 Super Regional/3 Conference Titles/1 Conf. Tourny Champ

Nobles tenure peaked at year 9. The next 7 years he made two regional appearances. Whitting is now in year 10 and a 3-7 start.

It is also worth noting that Whitting was an assistant under Noble for the best years through 2003. The year of Nobles decline was the year Whitting left for TCU. We have experienced declines under Whitting as assistants have left the program. Its a never ending cycle here.

There are lots of similarities between the two. One of the assistants left both of them too (Trip Couch).

I’m hoping Todd’s tenure has a different result despite that.