Time for a Coaching Change?

Been asking this question for 3 years but called every bad name in the book. I suspect we will see another lackluster to sub par season.

But, I’m sure we will hear next year is the big year!

4 Likes

Hire Couch as head coach and his only job is to recruit. Outsource all the other coaching related concerns to the assistants. Recruit only Texas, and maybe make the Greater Houston area a priority. How many other major Texas college baseball programs are pulling in players from Iowa, Maine, Idaho whatever? UH facilities alone should put is in the upper echelon of recruiting most every year.

Didn’t someone recently post that we had two recruits decommit that ended up at Baylor??? wtf

3 Likes

The decomit is Tre Richardson, IMO he’s going to be a good one…hitting .154 right now. Very few true Frosh position players can excel at D1 out the chute…it’s brutally tough. Haven’t lost out on too many just haven’t had last few hit on all cylinders. Cherry is a big-time stud but he’s hurt right now. Think football recruiting is a crap shoot, baseball is ten-fold. If go back say 5 years at most programs it’s incredible how very few kids make it, let alone complete their 4 years at school actually sign with. IMO if you’re not border line draft level talent, go JUCO if a position player

1 Like

Another thing we may need to consider is who he plays. It seems like he’s got the same starters every week in the same spots and it’s obviously not working. Let’s switch the starting hitters up and starting pitchers up and find something that works. We have way too many good players on this team to not try another approach.

3 Likes

I seem to recall the same thing in basketball, CKS doesn’t have it, we need a new coach to
open the new arena…This year we had two pitchers with TJ surgery, for players who have
been playing baseball for 10+ years, you know you have to run on a ground ball with bases loaded.
If you have to coach a college kid to run on a ground ball with the bases loaded, something is wrong with
our recruiting.

3 Likes

This is a bad comparison. CKS had to totally rebuild the program after a bunch of players transferred out, and has rebuilt the program better than it has been in decades. Whitting has been here quite a few years and has had access to the same recruits as all the rest of the schools. I would also say that the baseball program was not even close to as bad a shape as the basketball program was when CKS got here. Can even go further in that CKS is a proven coach that will be in the Hall of Fame. Whitting has won a few conference championships but has not much else on his resume.

1 Like

We had BB players transfer out when CKS took over. Very similar. Still,
people on this board wanted him fired. The new facilities are a plus, lets
see what he can do with them.

1 Like

Not trying to make excuses, but our biggest problem has been with giving up runs late in the game, and our star reliever is out for the year with Tommy John. While I’m extremely pissed off about the slow start. 4/5 of our losses are in extra innings, one of those to the #1 team in the nation. At least see how the season goes, because we’re not firing Whitting mid season no matter what happens anyway. But if we miss out on the playoffs again, it’s at least a discussion that should be had.

2 Likes

I wonder if Berkman or Biggio would be interested…I know both tried coaching after their playing days.

To bring in a former MLB manager and alum - Bannister - is a potentially big hire. One question among others would be is he willing to pound the pavement like successful college coaches have to do (and does he have contacts on the HS level).

2 Likes

If that’s not a downward trend I dont know what is. I don’t dislike Whitting but I have no long-term confidence in him.
I think Whitting would make a good AD one day though.

4 Likes

Maybe there is an excellent recruiter at Baylor, that is a former UH assistant coach. Just a hunch.

1 Like

The One and only reason Biggio coached was to coach his 2 sons. As soon they both graduated from ST Thomas he was out of there. Berkman different story as he definitely wanted the Rice job when Graham retired or was forced out…call it as you see it.

1 Like

Rice should have hired him but the PC crowd won out

Berkman’s conspiracy to force out Graham was shameful.

8 Likes

I don’t know the truth…sure it’s somewhere in the middle…he said/she said. In the words of Inspector Callahan " A man has got to know his limitations"

RUCK FICE :grinning:

I love CTW, but bottom line this doesn’t correct itself soon it’s time for a change.

5 Likes

CTW in my opinion is doing an excellent job but having some bad luck with injuries and losing some tight extra inning ballgames to start the season AND there is no way the current administration is going to make a change even if we lose every game the rest of the season BUT since people are discussing this hypothetical situation, who would be a good fit?

Rayner Noble: Having success at SB, loves the university and still a big name in the Houston baseball scene. Would you give him a second chance?

Sean Allen: UT assistant, was an assistant here years ago.

Trip Couch: Good recruiter but can he handle the head job?

Banister/Biggio/Berkman: Big names but can they grind it out?

Anyone else?

Not to sidetrack it. The game is in good shape going forward. I’ve seen some really good young coaches in the JUCO ranks this year working their way up the chain

1 Like

I don’t want a former MLB player with little experience. I’d rather have a guy that’s fought his way up the college ladder.

2 Likes