Time to think clearly, it's clearly the coaching

The team hasn’t given up, but fans like you have. I understand you have criticisms, which is fair to express but its ridiculous to think we should fire all the coaches. What business model has success where at the first sign of trouble everyone is replaced with new people? Be rational.

My UH statistics degree says i understand numbers. If you think the worst defense in college football as your only example is statistically significant, it’s not. You’ll have to give me more than that

1 Like

As soon as a see change that gives me hope, I will be excited. I thought SMU was that point, but instead it was the outlier in a season of bad offense. I’ve seen no change that gives me hope that things will improve as we go into the most difficult part of our schedule

2 Likes

Ok thats fair and trust me I agree with you ,but this hasn’t been an entire season. If this was year two I’d be in the same boat with you.

I didn’t like the hire because I didn’t like the offense the last 2 years, so I have a shorter leash too. A new coach that I hadn’t watched the last 2 years might get more patience from me

1 Like

I also have more patience with the OC than most on here. Probably because I haven’t watched him the last 2 years plus I think he’s just running what Applewhite wants

I don’t believe Frisco Bowl championships are really what we’re after here.

Cool. I don’t think anyone is, and I don’t think anyone is satisfied with the current product.

My next point is that something drastic has needed to change for a while. If #4 is the only player on offense that makes plays, then give him the damn ball and let him be the QB. If you’re going to stubbornly stick to a RPO offense, give the dynamic dual-threat quarterback the keys to the offense and let him go. See 2014 Cougars or 2017 Texans for examples of how much the QB matters.

I’ve posted this before. UH fans know football. Its not opinion, its fact. A lot of us saw it from the beginning that Levine was a terrible hire. Those same fans see the same thing with Applewhite. His joke of an offense is just a representation of his philosophy as coach. We know offenses. Veer, Run and Shoot, Briles’ no playbook offense, Air Raid. We know offenses.

The problem is that those responsible for and getting paid to fix that product either won’t or can’t, and I don’t know which of those is worse

1 Like

Big difference. Sampson is a PROVEN commodity !!

CMA…not so much !!

Bad comparison.

Thats not what people were saying last year when they lost the conference tournament.

1 Like

Losing to teams you should beat in any sport will get people upset

1 Like

UConn, SMU - Coach Herman
UTSA, Texas State - Coach Levine
UTEP after beating OK State and Tech - Coach Sumlin

It is just what we do. Coming back and beating Memphis is a Coog type thing as well.

1 Like

Did you think that we were going to win or even be in a NY6 bowl before Herman’s first year? Coaching is the problem with this team. The team has the potential to go NY6 bowling.

I mean, anyone can point to bad losses over the years and try to make the claim that this really isn’t any different. But the losses that Sumlin, Briles and Herman had against bad teams were sandwiched in between what were generally good offenses. The losses were head-scratchers, not continuation of the same bad play that we’ve seen this year, when good play has been more of the exception.

The years under Briles and Sumlin were usually marred with bad defenses that the offense had to overcome. It was only Sumlin’s last year that we suddenly had a respectable defense. The losses weren’t really head-scratchers (other than the '11 CUSA Championship) because we knew that if the offense had an off game, we’d lose. Kind of the opposite of what we have now.

Herman’s loss in 2015 was because we had to start Postma. Last year was a bit different as most of us saw cracks in the OL and the fact that the offense relied too much on Greg Ward. We relied a lot on the defense last year to win games; if they had an off week (Navy and Memphis), or the offense was really bad (SMU and SDSU) we were going to lose. They were head scratchers, mainly because we all assumed the team was as good as they were in 2015 which wasn’t true. We had lost most of our OL, Ayers, Farrow/Jackson which was too much to overcome since we didn’t have ready replacements.

When I refer to the “head-scratchers”, I’m really talking about the games where the offense didn’t show up or went on a turnover spree. These games were anomalies from an offensive standpoint.

That being said, those were different offenses that could keep an otherwise mediocre team in the hunt in most games. What we have now is far from that.

1 Like

No one cares! I went to Clutch Bar and they refused to put a tv screen on the UH v Tulsa game yet they had the Navy v Memphis game on a screen. Mind you they have about 50 screens in their establishment.