Tom Herman’s culture

Has any great football program had 9 years of mediocrity? Every program is down now and then, but 9 years in a row?

2 Likes

Bama went through a tough stretch before Saban.

3 Likes

Colorado
Nebraska
Miami

I’m sure there’s others but the gist is ebbs and flows happen to all programs.

End of Jenkins’ years through Dimel years

5 Likes

FSU had ten years after Bowden which they call “The lost Decade”. Tennessee after Fulmer was fired has been completely irrelevant. It’s actually fairly common. Schools should really think twice before removing HOF coaches.

I will say that Mack Brown refused to step down gracefully, which caused big problems and resulted in a horrendous AD and Charlie Strong. Conversely, Stoops stepped down gracefully, and the Sooner train kept on rolling.

3 Likes

They’ve returned to the pre-Mack-Brown normal. Aside from the Brown years, their entire modern history has been stumbling around looking for a clue.

1 Like

And since CTH is a Mensa member, you’d have thought he would see that.

Read about TH’s comments from the Monday presser, and he apparently referenced “Of Mice and Men” to explain the loss.

The reference was comparing his team’s overzelous desire to win to Lennie squeezing/killing the rabbit. The Horns just wanted it too much and were tight on Saturday. Guess the Terps just wanted it less.

If the Horns don’t compete for the XII Title and/or win a NYE bowl, his life will be a pressure cooker.

3 Likes

The University of Houston had a a few down years in a row in the 90s and 00s.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article217760255.html

2 Likes

That does bring up an interesting question. If lying Tom does start 1-5 then adds losses to TT and Okie lite ending the season at with a 5 - 6 record does UT fire him? If they do, who would they hire knowing that Saban would not go to Texas.

1 Like

This is perhaps my favorite thread of ALL TIME!

2 Likes

I think he gets another year even with a 5-6 record. He needs a QB badly.

He is getting another year, but if he doesn’t turn it around, it might be irreparable and the AD would just be waiting for 2019 to end regardless of if they are bowl eligible or not.

My goal each year is to finish ahead of UT. Them being 5-7 or 6-6 or worse is just great for me.

1 Like

if ut starts next year against maryland, they should buy out of the contract! maryland is too tough for them.

5 Likes

Reading their boards they mention Gary Patterson a lot because their ad came from tcu but most think he won’t leave tcu. Bob stoopes is another common name as is urban Meyer if the mess at osu won’t go away and he is either forced out or quits.

1 Like

Why do we even care about this?

3 Likes

This stream is why we need a “ha ha” button @ the bottom right hand side of each comment . . . . .

Schaudenfraude!

2 Likes