Tom Herman’s culture

Texas is improved but limited made even more limited by the poor in game moves by the coaching staff.

The offensive line is much improved, easily. However, the playcalling and personnel decisions reek of incompetence. They had a great run using up tempo and then went away from it.

In the first half they ran a great 2 minute drill. In the second half they had a very similar situation ad did nothing similar and ended up with turnovers.

I think Herman is in over his head. Mack Brown went from Tulane to North Cackalacky to UT. Herman needed to take a small P5 job before jumping to UT.

I’m hoping this doesn’t end well for Herman. Perhaps it will knock some humility into him.

Come on coach, you just compared us to Tulane there.

CTH should be buying a nugget meal every single day from Tony Levine…in thanks.

I sure wish Tony had worked out here. He’s a million times a better person than Herman.

11 Likes

Listening to Scott & Holman I didn’t realize we had no Special Team Coordinator.

Ya think Tony would be interested?

4 Likes

Improvement…whatever. Regardless of what you may have heard or think, Herman had a ton of talent on that team last year and has even more this year. It is an embarrassment of riches.

I saw something online about how my 4 star athletes he has on the team so I did some checking.

His four deep at QB are all 4-stars
His three deep at RB are two 4-stars and one high 3-star he pulled from us when he left. Another 4-star is not on the three deep
His two deep at WR has three 4-stars with another four 4-stars not on the two deep
He has seven OL that are 4-stars and a grad transfer that started for Rice.

Defense
Four 4-stars on the DL
Six 4-stars on the two deep at LB
Two 5-stars DBs and 8 4-star DBs

We have four 4-stars and one 5-stars total at UH

4 Likes

DAMN AND YOU THOUGHT WE DISSED COACHES

Holy crap, I missed this earlier…the sense of entitlement from some of those fans is delusional. Slamming us (UH) for their crappy team is right up there too. Hey, Herman was able to beat so-called blue bloods here and he’s sucking in Austin. It’s not our fault your toxic culture ruins coaches.

They’re getting what they deserve in Austin

4 Likes

This goes back to the argument about how accurate recruiting services are. Are these kids 4 & 5 stars because of their abilities or are they 4 & 5 stars because of who’s offering them scholarships?

The other thing the scouting services have trouble with is potential. How many of these kids reached their potential ceiling in high school? This may have more to do with coaching though.

Lastly, the scouting services usually can’t judge what’s between a player’s ears.

5 Likes

Seriously, I trust you watched the game because you are a Maryland fan…because, I cannot believe anyone outside of a 50 mile radius of Austin would watch those bastards play any type of game…
except the people at the HC !!!

I might watch one of their games after they have been curb stomped by someone…of course, those are not shown on the LHN and by contract, probably have the game tapes destroyed by ESPN !!

This is a very good point though because Brown really cut his teeth at NC from a cellar dweller to creating NFL talent loaded rosters that earned a top 10 finish his last two years before being scooped up by horn.

The more we look back at it Herman really had huge flaws at UH especially in year two. But my guess is UT chalked up those bad losses in 2016 to him focusing on his next job (TU, LSU) instead of next opponent (Navy, SMU).

1 Like

Dumpster fire is a relative term. For UT fans who think a championship every year is their birth right, 7-5 is a dumpster fire. For a Rice fan, 7-5 is a successful season

2 Likes

Oh, I agree. Tony Levine told me that it is practically impossible to tell what a high school junior will do in college. That is why he and his coaches had such an exhaustive evaluation process.

1 Like

I think he’s got his hands full with the Chik Fil A

oh my GOD!!! Thats funny!!!

Blockquote

No, I watch as many games as I can, especially Texas schools. I also watch where I have friends coaching. For example, Arizona (not Sumlin) & WVU I try to watch all of them. Always try and watch The Pirate if he’s on TV. Texas is of particular interest because of Herman.

2 Likes

I was just jacking with you :sunglasses:

Ut next coach will w taggert. The guy is below .500 everywhere he has coached???

2 Likes

That guy is one of the most overrated coaches out there…he was on the verge of being fired at USF until somehow their offense exploded the the second half of the 2015 season with Quentin flowers.

4 Likes

Looks like people are starting to figure out that it was the talent in Houston, rather than LTH’s coaching, that explains his two years of success here.

Maybe we’ve had it wrong the whole time. For all of its supposed advantages and program wealth, perhaps Texas is harder to pull out of mediocrity than anyone realized. The last time the Longhorns were really good, this year’s crop of high school seniors were in third grade. Since then, they’ve only finished a season ranked in the top 25 one time. It takes an incredible coach, a force of nature, to overcome the cumulative effect of that much dysfunction. That’s what Texas thought it was getting in Herman. **But now, it’s fair to wonder if his reputation was elevated by a stacked, ready-to-win roster in his two-year stint at Houston and not the other way around.**

7 Likes

1 Like