Top 5 best UH teams of all time

They were more like the ‘FSU is Back’ team - definitely not average. Which is why it stung when Jimbo left for A&M.

1 Like

I saw them all, and they all were great teams as far as I’m concerned. Some were stronger in certain areas, some in others. Bottom line, they played great as a whole regardless of who was on the schedule. Just saying, the 17-3 loss to Memphis State in 1978 is about as hard to explain as any loss we have ever had. UH was far superior but had breakdowns all over the field all night, especially at corner back (Gerald Cook). Strangely, after beating the Coogs, 2 weeks later Memphis State went to College Station and lost to the Aggies 58-0. Couple weeks later, the Aggies came to the Dome and Coogs won 33-0 (33-0 at the half). That’s college football for ya.

2 Likes

Not going to argue with you…we have had much bigger and more important wins over teams that were higher nationally ranked and actually won their conference…

1 Like

As great of a coach as Yeoman was, there were quite a few inexplicable games. There were seasons that they underperform vis a vis the talent level. That doesn’t take away from coach’s greatness, but like you said that is college football.

How many guys ended up playing in the league off of that 2015 squad?

Drafted - Bowser, ERob, Jackson, BWilson, Adams, I. Johnson, Ayers, Egbule, HWilson

Ward went undrafted, mistakenly.

That’s a lot of talent and a great record with a major bowl win. I’m thinking this team is being underrated by some.

4 Likes

1979 is #1.

The rest can be debated.

1 Like

I don’t disagree that '79 was the best team, but to not even consider the '15 in the top 5… to me, it is incorrect. There was top-end talent, a stacked AAC, and quality wins over good teams.

2 Likes

McDonald,Myers, McCloskey

Farrow also played for the Chargers for a season or two, but didn’t stick.

The ‘73 team came within one dropped pass of going undefeated, the ‘69 was one of the teams after reeling off nine straight wins including a massacre of top 10 ranked Auburn in the bowl game.
The ‘79 bunch was probably the most talented team we had and only a touchdown loss to Texas in the Dome prevented a national title.
And I loved the ‘76 team that shocked the world by beating Tech to earn the Cotton Bowl berth and win over unbeaten Maryland.
There is no way our ‘15 bunch was better than any of those teams.
And oh yeah Coach Yeoman was a better coach than Hetmit

3 Likes

Hummmm there seems to be a common denominator between all our great teams…

Ok and the 2015 team wouldve gone undefeated had Ward been ready to play for the UConn game. They’re top 3 along with the '76 and '79 teams.

Edit: Who coached the teams is irrelevant. If you’re underrating the 2015 team just because of the coach then you’re doing those players a disservice.

1 Like

Lol so you are comparing our present conference with the SWC.
An unbeaten AAC team is not taken seriously on the national scene. Maybe one day that will be different.
But the ‘15 team is no doubt the highlight of our program since Pardee left

1 Like

You were talking about the '73 and '69 teams which played as independents. The other great 70’s team was the '78 team which lost to a 4-7 Memphis St. team.

Edit: The AAC was taken seriously enough for UH to be ranked #8 at the end of 2015.

1 Like

Was that loss any worse than the loss to UConn lol

Yes. Especially since your starting QB wasn’t hurt. UConn at least made a bowl and the loss was only by 3 pts. The '78 team practically got shutout by a 4-7 Memphis team.

Years ago, while visiting the Naval Academy, I made a comment about Gerald Cook (should have kept my mouth closed). Turns out the guy I was talking too was a relative or his wife was a relative of Gerald Cook. To me, his defensive ability was suspect . . . . .

We can debate all we want on UH’s greatest football team ever - my vote is 1976 - but there’s no debate that only one UH football team has been voted No. 1 in the nation in preseason from a reputable organization.
The 1969 Cougars by Playboy, which in the day was a reputable college football news source with its All-America teams.

2 Likes

Folks, let’s take a look at what the sports writers and coaches have to say. The top five teams, according to them, are as follows, based on their FINAL end of season rankings (for purposes of this exercise, I’ve omitted seasons in which UH was on probation and didn’t get a vote in the Coach’s poll):

1976: #4/#4
1979: #5/#5
2015: #8/#8
1973: #9/#11
1978: #10/#11

1969 isn’t in the running; they finished at #12/#16.

So based on what these EXPERTS have to say, YES, the 2015 team is in our all-time TOP FIVE…arguably TOP THREE!!!

Disregard the experts if you wish…but do so at your own risk!!!

Are some of you saying that the sports writers AND the coaches are BOTH wrong?

Come on now.

3 Likes

That’s how I see it. If we were doing a Top 10 I’d round it out with '69, '90, '89, '11, & '56. In that order.