And losing in the first round? Pretty much, yes. Especially the NIT. CFP = Final Four. Sweet 16 = Access Bowl. Where does that leave 1st round NCAA loss and NIT? High and low non NY6

We struggled in attendance Guy V’s final two seasons here…he was a legendary coach and barely half filled Hofheinz for his final game as coach…

1 Like

There are 3 times as many teams in basketball. At the very minimum:
Top 40 RPI = Top 25 CFP ranking
NCAA finals = CFP championship game
Elite 8 = CFP first round
Sweet 16 = NY6
NCAA appearance = mid tier bowl appearance
NIT appearance = low tier bowl appearance

In other words, if Applewhite had 3 more seasons like last season, I consider that the equivalent of losing in the first round of the NIT every year.

2 Likes

Face facts, Cougar Fans are a strange lot…

Be ranked number 1, fans show…have an impressive win streak, fans get excited and show, lose 1 game to end streak, fans fade (definition of bandwagon).

Give away free pizzas or beer…students show.

Play Rice…students show (never figured that one out) !!

Game at night on ESPN…fans/students show…

Face it…we are a strange lot.

Just FYI…I go to all games in BB and FB, because I like those college sports and am a UH grad !

2 Likes

The new facilities will be the biggest difference between next season and the Foster years win or lose. I don’t think the fans have changed. I just think Khator understands what our pro sports owners figured out in the 90’s. If you build it, they will come.

1 Like

Not even close to the same because there are more teams in basketball. More like NY6 = tournament bid.

~19% of teams make the NCAA tournament in basketball while ~9% of FBS teams make NY6 in football. Making top 25 in football is a better comparison (pretty much spot on actually). It gets even more difficult when you account for the fact that only 1 out of all G5 teams make NY6.

I think things are improving. They definitely seem to be in football where we’ve had more recent success than basketball. I think the same will happen in basketball.

Even a blind squirrel can find an acorn once in a while and as AD Davalos was pretty much a blind squirrel imo. Wasn’t Rudy the one who hired Helton leading us down a dark road of lower attendance and really smaller crowds as well as very boring football.

I don’t mind if an AD makes a bad hire. It was Bill Carr that gave both Helton and Brooks long term extensions after each had one decent but not good season. Chet Gladchuck Jr. might not have had a much better record but at least his hires targeted head coaches with success at other programs.

No. It was his replacement, Bill Carr, who hired Helton and Brooks and celebrated 1993 as the beginning of “a new era in Houston Cougar sports”

Well Helton did beat LSU at Baton Rouge and North Carolina at Chappel Hill…there were a few…an I mean a FEW bright spots here and there…two 7-4 seasons and a Liberty Bowl loss to Syracuse.

I still remember in Helton’s final year, we had a pretty good defense, I think went 7-4…but, of the 7 teams he beat (LSU and NC being 2 of them), 5 of those schools fired their head coach…

Not sure any of victories came over teams with winning records…but not positive about that.

And the 300+ ranked teams are equivalent to the worst FCS teams. 200-300 are mid level to good FCS teams. There are some good and great teams at the top of some of the smaller basketball conferences, but the bottom half of those conferences arent the level of the bottom FBS football teams

Helton won four games in his first three years. He should have never, ever been given another.

4 Likes

amen, he should have been fired.

1 Like

Even if you discount the bottom 100 teams in basketball as being worse than UTEP and Rice, it still leaves twice as many teams competing which is how I came up with my comparisons. For your comparison of the final four to be equal to the cfp, you would have to make the argument that 15-15 basketball teams in the MWC and AAC are the equivalent of 0-12 football teams in C-USA and Sun Belt.

Do you really want to say that Tulane basketball (157 RPI) and Memphis basketball (120 RPI) are relatively the same 1-11 Rice (124 rating) football and 0-12 UTEP football (130 rating)? SMH

1 Like

Ok buddy, just watch what happens and at the end of it you can tell me I was right.

I have watched a whole lot of basketball on TV and have noticed that most games have a whole lot of empty seats. Yeah, Duke-UNC type games sell out; but the regular games don’t. Here are the AAC average attendance figures to date from the AAC official web site:
Cincy - 8081
ECU - 3363
Houston - 3549
Memphis - 6211
SMU - 6660
Temple - 6324
Tulane - 1611
Tulsa - 4461
UCF - 4650
UConn - 7829
USF - 2568
WSU - 10806

One of the problems UH will always face is that the Houston area is so spread out, and the main population areas of our alumni, are not close to campus, but the suburbs. The traffic fight to get to and from UH is a major deterrent for people in Katy, Sugar Land, Tomball, Missouri City, etc. On good days it’s bad; but throw in constant construction hassles and finding alternate routes under an hour just make it too difficult for all but we diehards to bother with – especially on week nights. Add to that the fact that most are on TV, it makes it too easy to stay home and watch. What really irks me is to read a post from a guy in the Houston area watching the game on TV and complaining about the attendance.

3 Likes

It was no surprise to see SMU’s average attendance # is 666…0. The devil’s # at play there.

4 Likes