Tulane guard Teshaun Hightower charged with April murder

Tulane’s top scorer is in some trouble. He averaged 15.9 pts/game this past season.

That’s no good.

At least he understood the importance of tweeting after he killed someone.

I’ve always told my kids if you make a horrible mistake in life then beat it to a computer ASAP.

His next court appearance is going to be at somewhere other than Fogelman Arena.

5 Likes

Very sad situation. So many young men’s lives have been negatively affected by poor decision making.

2 Likes

Wrong place, wrong friends or was he the trigger man? It’s sad how choices in life lead you down certain roads. I pray my kids avoid these situations.

3 Likes

Wow! Not something you want anything to do with whether it is your program or your family/friends. Reminiscent of the Dave Bliss days at Baylor.

Except there is no cover-up and didn’t involve the team. Heck, he was in the draft and another state.

A statement from his lawyer says that his brother pulled the trigger in self defense. Let’s see how this plays out. One life has been lost already. Hope we don’t see others destroyed if the self defense claim is true.

2 Likes

You don’t have to pull the trigger under the felony-murder doctrine.

If you’re an accomplice during the commission of a crime, and one of the perpetrators kills an innocent victim during the commission of the underlying crime, then all parties who participated in the underlying crime (for example, theft or burglary) can be charged with murder under the felony-murder doctrine.

Indeed.

Here in Washington County we’ve been prosecuting multiple people arising out of the same homicide.

Although only one of them pulled the trigger, all were involved in the robbery that led to the shooting.

They were all “parties” to the underlying felony. And a killing committed in the course of another felony (robbery in this case) makes them all chargeable with murder under the “felony murder” rule.

Not sure what the facts or allegations are in this case though.

DGhis is right for all intents and purposes. If he and his brother were both in the process of committing a felony, it doesn’t matter which one of them pulled the trigger. The felony murder rule would apply, and as “parties” to the underlying felony, that rule would apply to both of them. Both could face murder charges and both could be found guilty, regardless of who pulled the trigger.

We’ll see.

Georgia does have a felony murder rule.

I wonder what the underlying felony would be here. Aggravated Assault? Robbery?

Even his self-defense case won’t be easy.

First of all, a witness identified HIM as the shooter.

Second, if six guys show up at a victim’s apartment looking for a fight, it might be hard to convince the jury that the victim was the aggressor, and the other six that apparently showed up looking for trouble were just defending themselves.

Six guys defending themselves against one???

Uhhhhh…whatever.

1 Like

you read the ajc report? one the of 6 actually was getting beat up and pistol whipped by the victim, he called the brother and the others to come help. the victim immidiately tried to point the gun at the brothers and was shot by teshauns brother. also it doesnt say who the apartment belonged to

So they showed up with a gun looking for a fight. That’s murder.

depends how you see it, goergia is a southern state where carrying guns should be part of everyday life…
but according to them and their lawyer, one of their friends was getting attacked, they went to help him and immidiately had a gun pointed at them and feared for their lives

Their friend was attacked earlier, he wasn’t currently being attacked.

1 Like

according to the report on ajc, it was right after, not that long, and the victim had pistol whipped him and threatened him
and a gun was still pointed their way first (according to their lawyer)

i think if he has a good enough lawyer he’ll be able to evade any major sentence…but college sports is fickle, even a minor charge will be impossible to overcome

Quote: “The victim came out of the house with a gun in his hand and turned his weapon toward Teshaun to shoot him. That’s why the victim was shot himself,” Walker said.

Hmmm…that’s from the defendant’s lawyer.

Sounds to me like he’s conceding that THEY all went over to HIS house…or at least…all went over to the house where HE was staying.

The victim didn’t go over to THEIR house.

Sounds to me like THEY showed up looking for a fight, and HE came out to confront them the only way that a single man could confront six and even have a sporting chance…with a gun.

Oh…and by the way…when they showed up looking for trouble…one of them just COINCIDENTALLY had a gun as well…and…UNLIKE the victim…FIRED IT with lethal effect.

Good luck making that out to be “self-defense.”

Oh…and to make matters worse for his defense attorney…the prosecution already has a witness naming Teshaun as the shooter…not sure how credible she is; we’ll see!

But even assuming that the defense’s story is true…and the witness isn’t credible…it’ll be tough to make that out to be “self-defense.”

If you show up at someone’s house unwelcome with six people, armed, and apparently looking for trouble…good luck convincing anyone that you didn’t have something unsavory in mind.

1 Like

That’s why crimes are investigated; to see if the physical evidence matches up with the statements proffered by the accused. Remember, all interested parties have a motive to spin the tale in their own perceived interests. It’s why I always focus on the physical evidence; you trust statements from interested parties at your own peril.

1 Like

But you can read the defense attorney’s statement.

Even he seems to concede that they all went over to the victim’s house. And it doesn’t sound like they showed up as friends or invited guests.

How does one man confront six and stand a sporting chance without a gun?

As I said…good look to that defense attorney in his quest to make that out as “self-defense.”