Tulsa game thoughts

For most of the game I was a raving lunatic in my living room, couldn’t make game because someone put wood all over 59 north. After calming down, a win is a win. They Still have plenty to work on and I need to have more.faith in them.

3 Likes

I was dreading our 4-hour ride back to Dallas at the end of Q3. By the time we got home this afternoon, I was shocked to see that the fallen sky had not reached us this far north. “Re-watching” the game today, for all my frustrations for most of last night, and after reading all the negativity on this board, I feel good about our players stepping up and somehow wringing out a big W! Didn’t see any quitters, few experts, but lots of making the most of their collective talent – or as many on this board suggest – the lack of talent.

I think I’m happy in not being an expert as so many, that I turn on all our coaches and players. Ignorance is bliss? 1-0. Funny how it worked for Hermroid but not for our current coaches. 1-0.

3 Likes

Watching BYU and Utah State. BYU crapping the bed on ESPN2 trailing Utah State 21-0. Talking about glass half full, our cats atleast woke up from their nap.

1 Like

He is more accurate downfield than Ward…Keenum was a master at throwing the receiver open.

1 Like

Went back on the timeline; apparently the call was overturned because Godfrey was the one who recovered the ball. Problem was that Godfrey had gone out of bounds when the fumble occurred which meant he couldn’t be the first one to touch the ball afterwards.

I haven’t seen the replay up close, but that was the explanation given.

Better this game, but that’s because Tulsa isn’t a passing team. Overall, for 2018, this is the worst pass defense I’ve seen in a long time.

1 Like

I thought it was because the Tulsa player was judged to have touched the ball as he was out of bounds. Therefore, the ball is ruled to be out of bounds due to the touching. So, Tulsa retained possession.

4 Likes

The call on the field was that the recovery was returned (not down at the fumble). There is nothing in the review films that I saw or what the announcers saw would give indisputable evidence to the contrary. Yet the call was overturned, and the ball go back to Tulsa.

1 Like

That was the only thing I could figure out, because we couldn’t hear what the ref said about it.

Even if it was the correct call, it was wrong. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I got the same feeling in the 3rd as I did with Tech - we let a freshman QB get comfortable and he looked good. This time we were pursuing, so he was under pressure physically, but what I mean is that Boomer thought he had a legit chance to win that game, he felt like he was in control of it, just like Bowman did. The difference came in the 4th, when we got stops and then scored. As soon as Boomer was behind, he started trying to force the game and making stupid decisions. If we hadn’t wasted opportunities in the first half - dropped INT’s, dropped TD receptions - Boomer never would have been so comfortable, and that 3rd would have looked really different. In the same way, if we hadn’t wasted a couple of possessions in the 2nd against Tech and gone ahead 2 scores or more, I think Bowman would have started playing desperate and therefore stupid, and that game would have been different. Our team is built to win that way right now.

I noticed on an option play when Ward and King was in the game. Ward passed to King, then King threw the ball to the receiver. King is more accurate than Both Case and Ward for sure. If King had Ward, Kolb, or Case receivers…it would have been TD city every time. Can you imagine King to Vincent Marshall or to Quick Six Anthony Alridge…!!!

Saw this from the Daily Cougar writer at the game:

https://twitter.com/JTGatlin/status/1048012428464869377

Why is this even a rule? What purpose does it serve?

1 Like

I think it’s so that players don’t run out of bounds while holding the ball over the field of play or, in this case, so guys don’t run out of bounds and try to hit the ball forward to recover it downfield. Basically want to keep all the action between the sidelines.

Watching the replay on Youtube TV at the 2:30 mark in the first quarter, #2 Deontay Anderson was the one that picked up and returned the fumble. He was never out of bound.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. Is it possible to hear the explanation of the overturned call?

Godfrey tackled the receiver but never touched the ball.

The ref’s explanation is that the ball was touched by the fumbling receiver while lying out of bound. Both announcers disagreed with the overturn based on the replay. There is no convincing evidence that the receiver touched the ball. With the forward motion of the receiver, if he had touched the ball, it would have moved toward the goal line. It did not budge. The call on the field should have stand.

6 Likes

Awesome, thanks.

Yeah they thought if anything it was a shoelace, but the ball didn’t even wiggle in such a way that could be related to his foot. Little bit of a Bermuda Triangle with the camera angles being down in the corner with a player stepping in front of the view of the ball, but there was no way there was indisputable evidence.

By the way I hate replay, it makes the games much longer than ever before and it ranks just below the guillotine for helping the rabble ruin your day.

What makes games longer are the extended tv commercial time outs after scoring plays and change of possesssions or injured players.

Then the almighty tv networks complain about the length of games.

Well, they are paying !!

Is it worth it…you know, the so called exposure !! Not to the fan in the stands.

JMHO

1 Like