UConn Big East

Diluting the brand is horrible. Act like you’re considering other school and take no one. It strengthens everyone.

2 Likes

It would be helpful if we could learn that our UH Administration thinks.

Has our A.D. or anyone else made a comment?

5 Likes

That’s exactly what the Big12 did in 2016…

3 Likes

No…doubt they will.

2 Likes

I agree with this. Stay pat at football and add another non-football school. There’s good options in hoops and it would be cheaper than adding a football member. Raise that profile in hoops. Trade a name for an actual good program. Wichita has been a great member and they’re thrilled to be here. Find someone like them.

5 Likes

VCU- a good baseball program on A10 level & new area for AAC-Virginia
Dayton
St Louis
Davidson ?- nice for AAC to get into booming Charlotte.

Who else for hoop?
Prefer someone with quality baseball or great potential but not a deal breaker.
http://www.atlantic10.com/standings/Standings.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=31600&SPID=136225

2 Likes

The problem is, if the AD let us know, then the world would know. Showing your hand before betting isn’t a very good strategy.

I really don’t care what they do. But if I were running things my first precaution would be to maintain brand vitality. We just sent 4 to the tourney and neither were UCONN or Wichita State. So, we might have lost a name but we didn’t lose strength.

You have a solid brand with UH, Cincy, and Memphis carrying the banner in bball… and UCONN wasn’t going to win anything in football as long as Herman isn’t a coach in our conference.

Regardless of who you pick we it won’t affect diddly squat in regards to TV money for the foreseeable future. So, imo, you can only weaken your brand by promoting from the Mac or CDOA.

But I’m starting to just repeat myself which doesn’t elevate the discussion. I’ll shut up and watch it play out.

6 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1143932948720291840

Inevitable

https://mobile.twitter.com/DaveBorges/status/1143927306609516544

1 Like

Good for them. They’re a pretty good group. I can’t find any hatred for them in my personal sports database.

To be honest, I will miss having them in the conference but it will be for the best. I have no ill will for UConn unlike the so called “flagship” school of my birth state. ”( and “beta” school)

They simply weren’t a good fit for the AAC. AAC football improved with them gone, but basketball appears to have taken a hit merely because of the name. Frankly, the Huskies never really were in the top 3 of the league the last few years, were they? But, somehow, the conference brand benefited by them in it.

Last year UConn was the 3rd worst team in the AAC. The year before the 4th worst.

Since winning the NC the first year of the AAC they’ve been on a downward trajectory…and ‘brand’ is the only they’ve brought.

So, who does the AAC replace them with for hoops?

While they were not good for a few recent seasons, name another AAC school with 4 National Championships in men’s basketball with 2 in the last 8 years. Kicking UConn while they are down for a few seasons is similar to kicking UH during the end of the SWC - I am not going to let a few seasons in basketball tarnish their brand. At the same time, I don’t understand UConn fans thinking they are too good for the AAC.

1 Like

Come on, everybody knows that Basketball was invented and is only played on the East Coast !!

ESPN has has pushed this narrative since the late ‘70’s since they were born… and on by the way, they were born in Conn.

1 Like

When Calhoun left, they started down.

He didn’t leave so much as he was pushed out as the NCAA was sniffing around. He is in the same mold as Calapari and Petino.

Good coaches with unethical tactics.

1 Like

UCONN had a bad run the last few years, but it would be silly to minimize the value they add to men’s basketball.

Hurley is recruiting well and will probably get them back to being solid. If he doesn’t, then they’ll probably be able to get another good coach.

The fact that they could get a successful and very in demand A-10 coach shows where they are still at in the pecking order. Hurley for sure would not have left Rhode Island for ECU/Tulsa/etc.

1 Like

True and I think NYC recruiting being down has hurt them a lot too.

uconn was recruiting well for the aac standard…itll be really interesting, as they are middle fo the pack recruiting in the big east

next year will be very huge in defining their future…if they are atleast nit good, they should be great position going forward…
they arent favored to land any major recruits in 2020…but that is fine as the majority of next years roster returns in 2020

if they arent good next season, they likely wont be good in 2021 (with a slightly harder conference)…they arent good the next 2 seasons…hurley will be in the hot seat…

1 Like

I could see AAC with 3 or 4 ranked teams this year, Big East with 1. Gonna make UCONN look like cowards.

1 Like