UH Baseball Mediocrity Continues

That happens sometimes but isn’t typical. The 2020 team wasn’t good. The 2018 team wasn’t very good either and was the beginning of the downward trend.

You’re right it isn’t typical, because it is indicative of great coaching. And you can’t say a team that makes the NCAAT isn’t good (2018). We have no idea how last year’s team would’ve turned out. Also the 2016 season we won 42 games and were SNUBBED by the committee, I’d consider that season to be good as well. So basically In the last 6 full seasons we’ve had one mediocre campaign. If this year goes south I think coach has earned a mulligan. If we suck next year, then let his contract expire. Problem solved but don’t go firing a successful coach after 2 “mediocre” seasons.

1 Like

I didn’t say the 2018 team wasn’t good. I said they weren’t very good. Read again.

And the 2016 team won 36 games, not 42. We were 5th in conference (11-12) and weren’t snubbed. We finished 57th in RPI. Not a bad year but not regional worthy.

Look I’m not a Todd hater. I took up for him after 2019 in a similar way you are today. We have another 2 years of evidence now though and the trend is bad.

I’m most concerned that things started getting bad when Trip and more so Frank left. It reminds me of what happened to Rayner. Things fell apart when key assistants (like Todd and even Trip the first time) left.

2 Likes

My bad on the 2016 statistics. Site I was looking at had that wrong. All I’m saying is Whitting has two years left in his contract. IMO, he’s earned a pass for whatever happens this year. If things continue to trend down and don’t turnaround next season then we can have this talk. Talking about firing him rn is just premature. I mean if the basketball team misses the tourney the next 2 or 3 years are we going to fire CKS?

HOSTED the regional twice.

I don’t think we should fire Todd today and think he will get next year to right the ship. I mentioned that earlier in the thread.

I don’t think he should get more than that though based on the trend.

1 Like

Yah… how many non P5 schools can say they’ve done that in the last six full seasons?

Trips to Omaha? It’s like the Texans running up their AFC South banners. Whoop de do. And qualifying it … “non P5” lol.

How many times have we played for a national championship in football? When was the last time we played in a final four? Hosting a regional means you were a T-16 team in the country. That means you’re better than over 3/4 of the P5 schools. That’s pretty damn good considering the financial advantage those schools have over us. Of the other 230+ schools that play D1 baseball we’ve been a T-5 program the last 6 seasons.

That means you were served a trip to Omaha on a platter.

1 Like

Its like being a 3 or 4 seed in the NCAAT. It certainly improves your chances of making a deep run but upsets still happen. We’ve had more T-25 finishes and conference championships under Whitting than weve had in either football or basketball in the last 20 seasons. A trip to Omaha would be nice but it shouldn’t be the expectation. We’ve achieved a lot under Whitting everything considered. Let him finish out his contract.

1 Like

That’s a good recruiting pitch. “We don’t expect to go to the CWS.”

You going to start a fire CKS thread if UH doesn’t make it to the E8 this year?

The NCAA basketball games are not played at FC.

And? Upsets still happen. Do you think we should expect to put a team in the CFP? In the final four? We play in a smaller league that’s at a competitive disadvantage with the P5. Yet Whitting has had us ranked in the T-25 multiple times, winning our league multiple times, and in the NCAAT multiple times. If you EXPECT more than that you’re out of touch with reality and setting yourself up for disappointment.

Todd’s had 3 top 25 finishes in baseball, right? We are about to finish with our 4th straight in basketball.

For conference championships, it’s 4 to 4 over the last 20 years if we are including tournament and regular season.

1 Like

4 top 25 finishes for the baseball team, so basketball is about to be even. It would then be 5 to 4 in conference championships if you want to combine regular season and tournament. But even if the basketball was dead even that kind of proves my point that we’ve been really successful. As Sampson has made the basketball program really really good. He’s also a sure fire HOF’er as well. JS

Within the context of the facilities provided, the recruits you can find right outside your door … this isn’t Univ. North Dakota at Minot which HAS to recruit Rhode Island, St. Louis, et al. And this isn’t football or basketball, really a reach to make that argument. A decade of not even one trip to Omaha. You have small expectations… not the sports philosophy I grew up with.

2 Likes

Right and we haven’t performed like any of the schools you’ve mentioned. We’ve performed at an elite level given the context of where our program fits into the national picture.

1 Like

Which years did baseball finish in the top 25? 2014, 2015, 2017 and??

The trend is what matters. One is going up and the other is going down. And Todd is in his 11th season while Kelvin is in his 7th. The two really aren’t very comparable at this point.

3 Likes