UH - home shooting % vs. road shooting %

Perhaps it’s an assumption that isn’t valid, but I’ve always assumed college basketball teams shoot better at home than on the road.

This year, UH is shooting better on the road than at home. On the road, the Cougars are shooting 49% from 2 and 34% from 3. At home, they’re shooting 47% from 2 and 34% from 3. No difference from the 3 point line, but some difference from 2. This is despite the fact that the teams we’ve played on the road have been better (average KenPom of 105) vs. the teams we’ve played at home (average KenPom of 140…sorry I didn’t chase down actual defensive efficiency statistics)

Does anyone else find this a little odd? I keep thinking we are due for a big home game where we hit 50%+ of our shots (against a quality opponent), but it hasn’t happened yet. I still think it will.

I know we aren’t a great shooting team, but it makes no sense that we aren’t making more shots at the Fertitta Center this year. That is a trend that’s going to break before season ends, and hopefully it comes against Wichita State, Memphis, Cincinnati, and Tulsa…

1 Like

I brought this up to Nanook of the Northside yesterday. I wondered if not practicing in the FCcould be a reason we don’t shoot well there.

1 Like

I wonder if it’s because we had two of the worst shooting performances at home that have skewed the percentages. Ok St the team shot 31% from 2 and the Texas st 35% from 2. I haven’t looked at the numbers but I feel like there are less turnovers on the road as well.

1 Like

Easy answer…

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/77/41/32/16651910/3/360x0.jpg

6 Likes

About 12.5 at home and 11.8 on the road. So, slightly worse at home than on the road but not a huge number.

Seems like we shoot better at the basket we’re at in the second half than the one we’re at in the first, even though we do pre-game warm-ups at that basket.

3 Likes

I said the same thing at the game yesterday. “Wait until the second half, we’ll shoot better.”

1 Like

I wonder how the big video boards effect the backdrop from the three point line? I’ve heard NBA players say they shoot better in certain arenas due to liking the backdrop. Sort of like a batter in baseball with the batter’s eye. I like to know if the vidoe boards are in the peripheral when standing on the three point line.

1 Like

I find it hard to believe we’re shooting 34% from 3. It feels way worse than that.

4 Likes

I seem to recall low fg% at the Final Four at Reliant Stadium some years back. It was assumed to be a similar issue, with lack of seats behind the goals.

Having lost the over a couple of times now, I can attest the shooting percentage seems way worse than that!!

Future philosophy…first half under and wait to see how it goes. Off the top of my head, it seems that the shooting percentage that starts off bad very rarely improves a great deal the second half.

1 Like

I’ve thought that myself.

At times, you’ll see a lower shot from the basket facing the big video board. And that board is often flashing. And it’s just above the horizon of the backboard.

I would think that is very distracting. Even if only momentarily, it may affect concentration, judging of distances, etc.

I suspect they should leave the score view up there during actual play and do the flashy stuff during stoppages.