UH vs. Duarte Part ? (I have lost count)

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1296135849034362884

That would violate the doctor-patient privacy; a person’s medical information is private and none of our business.

17 Likes

I think we’ve all heard enough coronavirus data at this point in time but thanks anyway CHRONies.

4 Likes

“Specifically, the two media organizations requested test results for the entire athletic department, including the number of tests administered, as well as the number of positive and negative cases, for student-athletes, coaches and support staff for the football and men’s and women’s basketball teams.”

I don’t think they are looking for individual names and their results but overall numbers. It will be interesting to see what the state AG decides.

4 Likes

Yeah this is pretty base level stuff, the only real defense I would assume would be that they could figure out the individuals making it possibly HIPPA related.

1 Like

Personal data is protected under HIPAA but aggregate information is legal to compile and make public.
Ex. number of tests, testing protocols, current positive cases, etc.

That being said, almost no organization (including healthcare organizations) publishes this information to the public nor to their own internal employees.

4 Likes

Can’t be expecting us to read the actual article. This is quick takes only.

1 Like

Aren’t we getting into FERPA territory here as well? Journalist know no bounds and are entitled as ever!

4 Likes

Man
 What 's up with Duarte
 He seems to have some type of fall out with UH.

2 Likes

I am thinking coach DH has mutual feelings Towards Duarte. Coach is not the easiest guy to interview and I would imagine he could care less about Snowflakes feelings.
But all this goes above Holgersen

1 Like

Tom,
TMC publishes their internal member institution
tests,positivity rates, and covid hospitalizations almost daily. Not sure why the university is fighting this. Seems like it’s easy enough to comply with.

May want to check out this website too to see what they are reporting. I think it’s a legitimate site.
https://uh.edu/covid-19/information/positive-case-report/

2 Likes

UH needs to release the info.

3 Likes

I’m pro UH for sure but I’m having a hard time
understanding why we are doing this. The previous Duarte article was clearly over the top when he had a hissy fit over nobody responding to him and he attacked the school. But this is shoot self in foot stuff. This just makes us look bad.
From the Duarte article .

Meanwhile, Texas universities, public and private, have provided COVID-19 testing data during the pandemic, among them the University of Texas, Baylor, SMU and Texas Tech. Texas A&M football coach Jimbo Fisher said Monday that no players had tested positive, although a couple are in isolation due to contract tracing.

”Transparency shows that you have nothing to hide far as how you’re following the rules, what you are doing for public health and safety,” Shannon said. “Those schools that are being very up front and transparent about their testing and COVID outbreaks, they are showing respect for the public and their community. Transparency is such a good thing in all walks of life when it involves our government and institutions. We would hope all colleges would understand the importance of this.”

5 Likes

Two of the best and easiest interviews that I ever did were with Coack Holgorsen.

3 Likes

If required by law to track, then you have it to report. If we have to track every test and compile, that is an administrative burden.

With that said, I bet we have the information, but may be sitting on it. Being that Duarte’s prior comments in this area painted the school and administration in a bad light, I can see where we are not ready to assist Duarte.

1 Like

It didn’t appear at what level of reporting the request was made. At an individual level the answer is going to be no.

If generic reporting on infections vs testing, etc., their resistance is probably coming from the unfair and highly critical reporting they received when it turned out to be undeserved compared to other universities in the coming weeks post the incident.

Sounds like they are trying to teach Duarte a lesson. I don’t blame them.

2 Likes

It’s also ESPN that requested the info. This
will be great publicity when they broadcast being
denied as well. Bonehead decision IMHO.

2 Likes

Sounds like a ‘fishing expedition.’ If it were up to me, I would claim HIPPA restrictions, regardless of whether that were a real reason or not. If the Comical and ESPN are looking for this, guaranteed there is a nasty surprise in store. The media are never your friends.

5 Likes

I never interviewed him but I have seen him during his press conferences and he can be abrasive when he gets asked certain questions,
I don’t think I would have had any problems with him. Thinking some reporters are way too sensitive

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s required by law to report. It is crossing HIPAA boundaries and since they are students first, one can argue JD and the Chronicle are crossing FERPA boundaries while making this demand as well. Looks like a case of “I want the information, and it’s customary that you give it to me” and "you can’t have it and the law supports my decision ".

JD, it’s a tough pill to swallow, but you lost, again! Move on! Pick on another school.

4 Likes