Upset Alert: Virginia is in SERIOUS trouble! HISTORY MADE!

Do you have to drink a Mountain Dew Ice to get the Combo? Hard pass.

2 Likes

Navy Seafood should give away prawn skewers if A&M loses its next game.

1 Like

I really hope you are joking, right?

It wouldn’t take that long.

That whole side of the bracket is a dumpster fire.

Kentucky’s bracket is a 12 seed, a 13 seed and the winner between a 9 seed and 16 seed. Also if they advance, they get to play the third and fourth rounds 329 miles from home in SEC country.

Good news for Cincy and the AAC as they’re now the top seed in that region. Hope the Bearcats make it to the Final Four.

5 Likes

They looked just on the edge of losing control every possession. Love that they stayed aggressive.

2 Likes

Well, how about the two threes losing to the two thirteens?
And the 6s beating the 11s…and so forth.

According to wiki, only eight (included 2018) 13 seeds have ever beaten a 4 seed and this is the first year it happened twice. Not sure what your point is there. I’ll go with that you are talking about other upsets are important so it’s not a once every 35 years thing.

So in 35 years, there have been 560 match ups between a 4 seed or better and a 13 seed or worse. Counting thee this year, there has been 12 major upsets in total.

Why would I stop at 13 seeds to compare to football? Because most 8 team or 12 team football playoff scenarios include an automatic bid for the highest ranked G5 champ so a 16 team playoff would be to include the other 4 G5 champs which would obviously be the bottom 4 seeds 90% of the time.

A 13 has never beaten a 3 in the first round.
3 plays 14. 4 plays 13.

I guess my point is that having the ability to play for a true national championship levels the playing field.
One good run of tourney appearances increases your ability to recruit and compete. Gonzaga, Butler, and others have been powers based on tourney appearances. Then doing well.
If they were FBS schools their FB teams would never get a chance if they were not in money conferences.
Allowing a Boise, UCF, UH, SDSU in a playoff would strengthen their programs each year as well as their conferences.
This is not 1972 where you can stockpile 115 student athletes. If they knew there was a chance to play for a NC many of those athletes would consider UH, USF, UCF, SDSU, BSU, etc.
Just look how far UConn fell after they lost their BCS ticket.

1 Like

Seeing as (other than UConn straight out of a power conference) no non-power conference team has won the national championship since the 64 team expansion, I’d say there is a better chance of a team like UCF getting into an 8 team playoff in football and winning 3 games than Gonzaga or Butler winning 6 straight in the tourney. So I think an 8 team football playoff with the best G5 champ gives G5 schools a better chance than they have in basketball right now.

Gonzaga was one bad shooting night from national championship playing in Houston. I’d say that was closer than political ESPN invitational.

With what is left in the tourney. I think Gonzaga may be the toughest left standing.

In that bracket. But there are still plenty of strong, high seeds alive.