USF/Temple

I am pretty over the football board and the season is over, so I figured I’d get a topic going with conference play starting in basketball this week.

USF (KenPom: 282)

• 7-6 overall record (6-3 home, 1-3 away)
  • 313th in Adjusted Offensive Efficiency (Last in AAC), 203rd in Adjusted Defensive Efficiency (Last in AAC)
  • 347th in Non-Conference Strength of Schedule
  • 285th in Turnover %, 278th in Turnovers Forced %
  • 230th in Effective Field Goal %, 53rd in Opponent Effective Field Goal %
  • 29th in Opponent 3-Point %, 103rd in Opponent 2-Point %
  • Key Players: Stephan Jiggets (GR; 12.5 pts/game, 3.9 assists/game), Payton Banks (GR; 13.7 pts/game, 4.2 rebounds/game), Tulio Da Silva (SOPH, 9.8 pts/game, 7.1 rebounds/game)
  • General Notes: Their last coach (Orlando Antigua) did a really awful job. They won <10 games per year under him and hemorrhaged players. They have a grand total of 1 player who saw action last year (Da Silva) who’s even playing serious minutes this year. It’s basically an entirely new roster and the fact that they’re starting 3 grad transfers (Jiggets, Banks and Terrance Samuel) shows you how desperate USF was for guys to fill out a D1 roster. Their 1st year coach Brian Gregory was the coach at GA Tech when we played them in the NIT in 2015-16. He was basically hired to stabilize a program that is in serious APR trouble after Antigua’s disastrous tenure. This is a game UH should expect to win comfortably and hopefully rest Gray and some of the regulars a bit.

Temple (KenPom: 62)

• 7-4 overall record (3-1 home, 0-3 away, 4-0 neutral)
  • 52nd in Adjusted Offensive Efficiency, 100th in Adjusted Defensive Efficiency
  • 29th in Turnover %, 218th in Opponent Turnover %
  • 215th in Offensive Rebounding %, 282nd in Opponent Offensive Rebounding %
  • 145th in Effective Field Goal %, 171st in Opponent Effective Field Goal %
  • 123rd in Opponent 3-point %, 209th in Opponent 2-point %
  • Key Players: Quinton Rose (SOPH; 16.6 pts/game, 44% from 3-pt line), Obi Enechionyia (SR; 12.6 pts/game, 6.4 rebs/game), Shizz Alston Jr (JR; 14.7 ppg, 43.9% from 3-pt line)
  • General Notes: The Owls have a lot of really good, name brand non-conference wins (Auburn, Clemson, South Carolina, Wisconsin). They also have bad losses to La Salle and George Washington on the road, along with close shaves to Drexel and St. Joe’s at home. Last time out they got smacked 84-66 at Georgia, who’s a solid team, but not one Temple probably expected to get beaten badly by on the road. Obi Enechionyia is a 6’10" guy with a guard’s shooting range, but he’s been really up and down this season so far. I remember 2 years ago at home Obi torched us. Despite starting 3 guys 6’8" or taller, the Owls are an awful rebounding team and the Coogs should be able to take advantage of that. The natives in Philly are getting restless with Fran Dunphy, even with everything he’s accomplished in a long career.
6 Likes

Be nice to get a big crowd for that Temple game; real important game to win.

4 Likes

Looking forward to it!

I was “over the football board” after the Tulane loss.

1 Like

I’m all for more bball talk. Thanks srassen!

1 Like

True that, haha.

Regret having to miss Temple game, it should be a good one. Everybody yell loud.

1 Like

Same here. Will be in Pasadena for the Rose Parade. Go Coogs!!