UT Donors are Big Mad about The Eyes

I hate when this happens…

Still got plenty of family roaming those streets…

We broke the color barrier. Why don’t athletes want to come here based on that very fact?

It always has and always will come down to resources.

Whether it is PV, TSU,Rice, UTSA or Houston - none of us can compete with the resources of Texas.

Big picture race relations to the side for a minute…

That email about the 6% of students being black and suggesting they should sod off for thinking a bit too hard… How many recruiting rivals are running to the printer to show that to those predominantly black athletes that, “this is what UT alums think of you, no matter how hard you hear them cheer, this is their true colors”

5 Likes

If it’s bad for UT, then I am in favor of it. Whatever ‘it’ is.

6 Likes

Indeed, I grew up in Pasadena.

Many of us thought this issue was a main reason for Herman’s demise.

Not the only issue but when any Coach sees the big donors get pissed the Coach is in deep Doo Doo.

Its hard to be a bigger Whorn hater than I am, but I have followed this issue closely at UT. It is very interesting how it has evolved. The Alums for the most part love that song and it does mean quite a bit to so many of them. None of them were around when the song was created over 100 years ago and have no ties to the songs racist past. Not that I am into solving the Whorns problems for them, but I keep wondering if their is a middle ground where both sides can be satisfied with the outcome. Some kind of recognition of the songs racist history while trying to rebrand a far more inclusive future. So far I don’t see a solution. But maybe that will change. So far, the alums are winning and money talks and typically rule the day. So interesting to see their president and current head coach being all in with perserving the song without playing much attention to their racist history.

If the vast majority of UT alums love the song then keep it. If you find it offensive don’t go there.

Seems simple to me.

Now that dog crap orange with a uterus on their head unis I find highly offensive.

6 Likes

I didn’t know about Pasadena’s past until my dad told me about it. The demographics there have flipped big time thanks to all of the Houston area growth.

Ricky’s more circumspect approach to this is in keeping with his “mellow” outlook on life. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If you keep the athletes home there are the resources - do they understand? Doubt it

Yep. The whole thing is idiotic.

1 Like

Fact check

because no one outside the coog community knows this fact.
it’s referenced in the movie about texas western but only briefly

it would be a great time to write a screenplay about UH, yeoman and lewis and breaking the div 1 color barrier in the south.

5 Likes

A 30 for 30, someone call Chip Reeves.

It wasn’t just that we broke the color barrier, we were fully integrated when schools had 2 or 3 black players. To coach’s credit he never made a big deal about it. If you asked him about it he would say he was prejudiced against bad football players.

BUT he doesn’t get the credit he deserves for treating everyone the same. Also any recruiting promises made to the black guys he kept his word. That was VERY unusual back in the day.

4 Likes

I for one am happy Derek decided to stay local and play for UH. I grew up in Houston in Meyerland/Westbury area and loved it. I’m a 70s kid. Loved my HS and my neighborhood. We raised our boys in the southern Houston suburbs. Plenty of diversity, financially and otherwise. They love the area. What I am pleased about is how at UH, there seems to be no social issues from what I get from Derek. No division, no social or economic prejudice. They come form every kind of background and they all mesh together.

15 Likes

Texas Western, West Texas State and North Texas all had black athletes before us.

1 Like