UT Donors are Big Mad about The Eyes

Directional schools, which of them played the game of the century in the dome?

Might be true, but those schools were not considered to be major college FB & BB programs playing regularly against the likes of the SEC programs at the time - as was UH back then.

So UT & ATM (& their SWC friends) felt the pressure to change primarily because UH had changed and UH was then the 2nd largest public university in Texas. (UH was larger than ATM).

Wasn’t Sumlin the first African American head coach for a division 1 school in Texas when he coached at U of H?

I want to say Alvin was the first African American basketball coach in Texas for the major schools as well. But I could be wrong about that.

DKR had decided before he played UH. He wanted to recruit McVea but BOR refused just like ours had several years before. OJ Simpson also played at Austin before our kids did.
North Texas State played big schools like we did. Remember Mean Joe Green and Abner Haynes?
I remember hearing sad stories when Cincy played hoops here with the great Oscar Robertson. Our student body and fans were as pathetic as anyone ever was against us

Lol who won a national championship with five black starters? Btw one of those black starters was Worthing’s David Lattin a guy we wanted badly but Guy couldn’t get the go ahead from our BOR.

Back during the 1960’s, North Texas State FB was playing in the MVC and they never played any SEC programs. Also, they typically did play a couple games a year against such no-names as Drake, Parsons (Iowa), San Diego (Marines), Hardin Simmons, Tampa, Chattanooga and Weber State.

At that time UH was an independent and was playing 2-3 games a year against the likes of Ole Miss, Auburn, Mississippi State, Alabama, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Florida State, etc.

That was a really huge difference.

3 Likes

A thread about UT Donors puts me in a coma.

What are UH donors upset about? UH football?

1 Like

Levine was also the first Jewish HC in FBS history, FWIW.

3 Likes

Exactly!!! We break religious barriers, we break color barriers.

And come on if John Jenkins wasn’t the first LGBTQ head coach, he certainly dressed the part.

Eat Em Up Coogs L Chaim!!!

1 Like

I saw the movie. The game of the century made march madness. But good for directional Texas schools that broke the color line in basketball.

Color anyway you want, we were not the pioneers of bringing in black athletes in Texas college sports. We were as obnoxious as anyone when we didn’t have black athletes
and I could tell you some stories about how many of our players at the time felt about guys like McVea, Gipson and others.
Quit trying to color us (UH) as being such a great pioneer. Many of our athletes and alums only tolerated it because it gave us a chance to win at a high level.
And at the time Yeoman and Guy V. had no competition from powerhouses from the south along with SWC members.
We recruited black athletes win basketball and football games
nothing else

1 Like

I was at the game of the century and it was one of my greatest memories
however, I think you and I both agree we would trade that game for a national title any day of the week

Absolutely not true.

Cousin Tony Levine was not the first Jewish head football coach in big time college football.

Sid Gilman and Marv Levy.

1 Like

Levine attended a Baptist Church in Houston.

2 Likes

You can’t deny John Jenkins broke barriers.

Hey Hoss.

3 Likes

I stand corrected.

I’m actually not sure. What has that championship done for UTEP?

What have all UCLAs titles done for them lately?
Hate to say it but we are remembered as the greatest team to never win a title.
Would love to change that while I am still kicking

And the snow-flake (emphasis on flake) principal unilaterally changed the name to the Lamar daffodils or something similar.

I’ll be a proud Lamar REDSKIN (and COOG) until the day I leave this earth.

6 Likes

Yes. I remember people seeing him at the Church.

There is a very simple explanation. When he was winning he was one of the very few Jewish Head Coach When he was losing he was a Coach of a faith that can not be 100% verified one way or the other. LOL

Seriously. He chooses not to dwell on it one way or the other. That is his choice and should be respected.

What is not in dispute is that he is a good man and he was a good Coog. He left this place, although fired, with respect by all.

5 Likes