UT makes some changes but "Eyes of Texas" is staying

https://twitter.com/AdamJWexler/status/1282731885395877888?s=09

The football field is currently Joe Jamail field. Renaming the field after the two black American Heisman winners was their idea. Really, really awesome gesture from them. This country needs more people like them.

2 Likes

M’eh.

2 Likes

Ricky Williams? Ok, I guess it is fine if you tend to play bongos naked while you hit the bong. Was this Mathew’s idea?

Those changes so far are not close to addressing the demands of some of the football players.

I am pretty sure the players figured “The Eyes” were a long shot. After making the request to rid the school of “The Eyes” due to its racist beginnings, they then demanded that they didn’t want to be required to sing the song at the end of games.

Typical of “movements” throw the movers a few ridiculous symbolic gestures and then nobody demands the real changes that are needed which are equal access to quality food for their children, equal access to quality education and equal access to capital for their small businesses.

Their food sucks, their schools suck and they don’t have access to capital BUT they get a get a football field renamed. Well done.

I would like to hear Vince Young’s thoughts on this.

And before I get crucified here, yes, that’s a joke.

6 Likes

Isn’t Vince sorta on the payroll?

1 Like

Last I heard, Vince Young got fired.

4 Likes

How do you get fired from a job you don’t have to show up for?

Beats me.

1 Like

I didn’t know VY was employed by UT, but getting fired from a job you don’t have to show up for is one of the most VY things ever!

3 Likes

Well I guess you can’t name a stadium after a fired part time employee.

I am just curious, if you don’t have to show up for a job how do you accrue vacation?

Sounds like a waste of time and energy.

Obviously, a lack for real leadership.

Was it the kids vs UT’s attorneys?

I’m surprised they got anything at all.

If this is all they get out of UT administration then all the demands didn’t mean much and they didn’t want to admit to their racist past which was clear.

Did anyone really think they would do away with “The Eyes of Texas?” Never a chance. And I don’t really see anything racist about it. Just because Lee told students the eyes of the south were upon them it does not mean its racist. He probably recited the Lord’s Prayer from time to time as well.

4 Likes

They actually gave quite a bit more. This tweet is only a very small part of it.

https://twitter.com/UTAustin/status/1282714984691183616?s=20

The way to change the song:

1. The students write the song.
  2. The students sing the song.
  3. You need band members with guts to play the song despite what the director wants.

Whatever happen to students doing things like that.

They are not changing the song but reimaging and/or redefining it to what they think their values are today.

I agree the Lee connection was weak. But the minstrel shows and black face where the song was created was really the heart of the racism issue. If one checks out the history as told by their own history professor there is no doubt of its racist past. UT admin even admits it.

The “Working on the Railroad” tune of the “Eyes” is all minstrel show based.