"Voodoo Doughnuts" opening in Houston in 2 days

I’ve been to Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland.

GREAT place!!!

You know it’s coming, so I’ll start it. The great Donut Debates.

I’ve been to Shipley, no need to go anywhere else. :wink:

I tried Krispy Kreme, wasn’t impressed. They tried Houston, and Houston wasn’t impressed. That experiment didn’t last long.

I may one day try a Voodoo Donut, but i don’t imagine they’ll replace Shipley in my stomach or in my heart.

Besides, even if I did, I have a feeling the Shipley Mafia would be waiting in the back seat of my car with a piano wire… We all know they run this town.

Krispy Kreme is back open in Katy though. There’s a store that opened on Mason Road about a year ago, and it seems to be doing well.

I like Krispy Kreme, but like you, prefer Shipley’s.

Voodoo Doughnuts is famous for its “art” doughnuts with sometimes politically incorrect (and occasionally borderline obscene) names/shapes.

See here:

Krispy Kreme failed not due to lack of sales but internal politics between corporate and the franchisee.

1 Like

And disgusting donuts. :wink:

I did check out the Voodoo Donut website. There are a few I wouldn’t mind trying. Guava filled with coconut on top sounds interesting. Ring of Fire, a cinnamon sugar with red pepper could be good. I won’t go out of my way for it, but if I happen to be in the area…

I doubt Krispy Kreme is wrong with their donuts. When I lived in Macon Georgia back in fifth and sixth grade we were served Krispy Kreme donuts at lunch for our desert. They were wrong back then as well.

Voodoo is overrated. Shipleys are the best.

2 Likes

Krispy Kreme better than Shipley by a ways

1 Like

I live in Portland and can honestly say that Voodoo is one of the most overhyped products ever! They’re decent tasting…but seriously way too hyped up.

Portland has some decent donut game…it’s just that most of the donuts here are usually eccentric tasting. Very odd combos with very unique ingredients…see Blue Star donuts in Portland.

And for the love of Earl Campbell, can someone please get some decent kolachies up here?!!?

Absolutely need kolaches up here. Blue Star is better because they mostly use brioche dough instead of cake. I tried it at home and those were better than Voodoo. Just wait till you try a “Tex-ass” donut. I bet that will go over well. They’re not bad but I much prefer local places, we have one in our small town that’s good, Donald’s Doughnuts in Kemah is my favorite down there.

When I was in the Navy, my last ship, USS Intrepid CVS11, went into the Boston Ship Yards and I went on liberty in the area then known as the combat zone which was just a block or two from the Boston Commons. There was a Dunkin Donuts on Tremont street across from the Commons that then was open all night. I would always go there and have two donuts and a cup of coffee before going back to the ship. I thought their donuts and coffee were the best I had ever had. I may have been influenced by usually being under the influence, but I loved them.

Heretic

1 Like

Pena’s, all the rest are 2nd

1 Like

Always been a Shipley’s guy but my son got me hooked on Pena’s donuts and food!
Also note it is owned and operated by a loyal Coog fan

I live near the Voodoo doughnut and almost every time I drive by they’re busy… was tempted to get a late night snack on Sunday at 11pm and they were packed, granted Monday was a holiday, but still it looks like a winner business wise so far.