W.BBall to Square Off With USF on ESPN2 - Sunday 1pm W 54-52)

USF isn’t the team they have been the past few years. Would be nice if the Coogs could get a win on the road in this one.

Sunday’s contest will be aired on ESPN2 and fans can hear the contest against the Bulls live via the home for Houston Women’s Basketball Radio, UHCougars.com/wbbradio. Live statistics are also available through SideArm Stats, and the official Twitter account of Houston Women’s Basketball, @UHCougarWBB, will offer updates throughout the game.

SCOUTING THE BULLS
USF enters Sunday’s contest with a 12-11 overall record and a 3-6 mark in American Athletic Conference play. Temple most recently defeated Tulane in a 50-45 decision on the road. USF is 8-3 when playing at home this season.
_ _
The Bulls have a pair of players averaging double figures in scoring this season, including a team-best 16.3 from Kitija Laksa. Laura Ferreira scores 15.8 per game to rank second on the team. USF has won one of its last five games
_ _
USF is holding opponents to 56.3 points per game, allowing 36.1 percent shooting from the field and 28.4 percent from long-range.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/UHCougarWBB/status/1094007971116445698

Barnes has been a revelation this year with her 3 point shot.
https://twitter.com/UHCougarWBB/status/1094370357539041280

https://twitter.com/UHCougarWBB/status/1094430757097852928

Coogs with the 4 point lead with 22 seconds left

Coogs win! 54-52

1 Like

I watched part of the game (I never watch women’s basketball) and they look solid. I am just wondering though when we start expecting more out of this team? I know our top scorer is out, but we were 6-8 with her including losses to UTA and FGCU. I thought we had turned a corner last season. It’s year 5 for Hughey so is he not the answer?

I think coach Hughey’s job is safe for now. WBB is one of the least stressful jobs at UH… Wouldn’t you agreed @pray10 for me I just can’t explain their shooting woes. Fair looks like a player, tho.

They just extended Coach Hughey’s contract prior to the season so his job is safe.

My take on this season is that Coach was trying to push this team to the next tier and get to the NCAA’s, but for whatever reason, the buy-in just wasn’t there this year from the players early on. It wasn’t just the Jazz Harris situation, but there seemed to be a number of issues with players leaving, upset about playing time, not working hard in practice, etc that Coach Hughey has alluded to since before the season. Basically, chemistry issues.

Considering where we were when he took over, he’s done a good job getting us to be respectable, but he’s also mentioned that he’s had to go after players that he probably shouldn’t have because he wanted to get wins quicker (I don’t believe that’s in reference to any of the current players). Apparently, even other coaches were noticing it and he was told by the UCONN coach to stop doing it.

It’s just tough for women’s basketball because they get zero support from the students and minimal support in the stands. I’ve been to a handful of games last year and a couple this year and the arena is extremely empty. The one non-UCONN game I went to at the Fertitta Center was a little sad as that student section next to the court was completely empty. It’s got to be draining for the team when they see that.

Still, this is a young team with Hawkins, Barnes, and West (injured) the seniors. Hawkins has been a steady presence for Hughey and Barnes has been a revelation from beyond the arc after starting the season as barely in the rotation. This should be the deepest team Hughey’s had going into next year if everyone returns. The question will again be whether or not they can buy-in.

Extensions mean nothing in the college game because the coach can also leave or get fired. Saying that, Coach Hughey will be given next season to show and prove it in the court, if not, he will be let go. The team will finally have size and depth next season. Maybe add a juco scorer/shooter even if Jazz Harris returns to the team. UH women’s team will probably be picked 2nd in the preseason in 2019-20 behind a not so dominant UCONN team.

1 Like

True, but the Coogs are still in 4th in the conference and are near the top 100 in the RPI. This season has been disappointing, but considering all the adversity and the fact that they are suiting up 8 players right now, they’ve done good enough to where Hughey isn’t in danger of getting let go right after getting an extension.

One thing that I think points to why they should be predicted for good things next year, they’ve lost 5 games by 5 or less points; 2 of those were against teams that will probably make the NCAA tourney. On the other hand, they’ve only won one Q1/Q2 game this year (1-8 overall) and that was the miracle double-comeback against Georgia Tech at TSU. They have two more shots this season, one unlikely (@UCONN) and one with a fair chance (UCF at home).

1 Like

TOP PERFORMERS
Houston: The Cougars saw two players reach double figures in scoring, including a team-high 17 from Julia Blackshell-Fair. Octavia Barnes added 11 points, and now has double-digits in four of the last five contests. Okoene led Houston with nine rebounds, and Harris finished the game with five assists. Barnes has now hit at least one three-pointer in the last 14 games.
_ _
USF: USF had one player reach double figures in the game. Pehadzic led all scorers with 21 points. Tamara Henshaw led USF with 9 rebounds, and Luize Septe led the Bulls with three assists.
_ _
NEWS AND NOTES

* Houston won its first game over USF since the 2005 season and its first under head coach Ronald Hughey.
* The Cougars shot 36.5 percent from the field, compared to 30.0 percent from USF. The Cougars were 73.3 percent from the free throw line. The Cougars force 18 turnover for its 21st game this season forcing at least 15 turnovers.
* The Cougars also held advantages in points off turnovers (18-12), points in the paint (26-24) and fastbreak points (9-4).

https://twitter.com/OfficialUHWBB/status/1094720824567828480

https://twitter.com/UHCougarWBB/status/1095370289301598208

https://twitter.com/UHCougarWBB/status/1095748141209403392