What are the next steps for the medical school approval?

Anyone hear what are the next approvals we need to get the medical 100% approved? Last I heard was that this week the Texas house oked it.

It’s a done deal, legislation and financing-wise.

The only remaining step is ACCREDITATION from the Liaison Committee for Medical Education (LCME). They are the body (similar to the American Bar Association for law schools) that says whether the M.D. degree granted by an entity that calls itself a “medical school” in the United States is legit or not.

That process will be getting underway shortly, and hopefully, accreditation will be attained in time to admit the first class on schedule. For more information on the process, see the link below:

Interestingly, the LCME is the accrediting agency for M.D. granting medical schools in the USA.

Osteopathic Medical Schools (which grant the D.O. degree rather than the M.D. degree) have a separate accreditation body: the American Osteopathic Association’s Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA).

In the USA, licensed physicians may hold either the M.D. or D.O. degree.

2 Likes

Law is still giving a shoutout to the Osteopaths. I had one after a car accident in a Providence Emergency Room circa 1981.

I think that is part of my problem.

1 Like

Well, I’ve had a couple of osteopaths as primary care physicians, and they worked out pretty well. I guess everyone’s experience is different!

That said, I’m glad UH is getting an allopathic medical school. There still seems to be a bit more academic prestige associated with that!

1 Like