Who Wants an Ed Oliver Bobblehead?

You are totally missing the point! This is about a Heisman campaign. Until Ed complains about UH trying to get him a Heisman and name recognition using his likeness, you have zero ground to stand on. You are literally making up a problem out of thin air. That Heisman and name recognition could be worth millions of $$$ to Ed. It could have real world implications on his NFL contracts and whatever other advertisers want to pay him. Try and look at the big picture. If you still don’t like it then petition the NCAA for a rule change as I mentioned above.

It’s not really ethical of reporters to sell things they’re given.

It’s crap that universities can sell #10 jerseys and the kid not see a piece of the action. If you say, but all the NFL money…that’s a garbage take because Ed, and every other player, is one play away from their career ending.

Ed’s going to be drafted high, Heisman or not. The trophy isn’t going to get him more NFL money. His agent will use comparable draft picks in the same slot and the current going rate.

UH is advertising him for the Heisman because it makes them look good and they can market it. Of course Ed isn’t going to complain about the marketing, but it’s completely contradictory that the school can market the kids and yet they see nothing from that. Don’t come with free school or you would have been happy with free school etc. It’s not equivalent.

Agree he can do what he wants but kinda lame and potentially hypocritical (assuming he is one of the “pay the players” writers) to profit of Ed’s image. A nice gesture would be to send it back and ask Ed to give it to kids at Texas Children’s or Shriners hospital.

1 Like

Thats a nice little conversation you just had there in your head. I’ve never made those arguments in my life and never will. So don’t put those words in my mouth. I do find it completely irrelevant to the topic. If you want to take on the vast problem of the NCAA have at it. Will you are doing that I’d appreciate you getting the rigged playoffs fixed.
I’ll admit I’m a science guy and not in business guy. However, you are going to have to do a whole lot better than that to convince me that winning a Heisman trophy doesn’t do wonders for your career and pocketbook. I’m done though. I’ve made my point and I rest my case. Go Coogs!

Remind me again how many miilions in profit our football program made last year.

We obviously didnt sell enough #10 jerseys to put us in the black

So using their likeness only counts if they make enough money on it? If Ed sold his jersey he’d be suspended.

They run a program that loses millions of dollars. How much of that did Ed lose personally?

I’d buy it at the current price $275ish if they had it buy it now option. Wonder how higher it will go.

What a good business model!

wow, I bought a peter millar UH shirt this season for less than that.

UH and all other universities can only give away items that have the players likeness until the player goes pro and then they can make a deal with the player in which he gets paid. UH does not have any merchandise with his name on it and has not been selling any number 10 jerseys. They have generic jerseys like a number 1 jersey with no name and if a player choose to take that number, it is his choice. The university licenses jerseys to be sold and the retailer will choose numbers they want to sell. If any retailer is selling #10 jerseys, UH makes no more money from it than any other jersey sold. You will see no merchandise for sale by UH that has Olivers likeness or name on it until he goes pro and only if he approves those items.

UH athletics runs at a nearly 20 million dollar deficit. That sports writer is literally making more money off of Oliver than Oliver or UH is making.

1 Like

We should out this dude! Coog nation!

2 Likes

This is BS. Pure and simple BS. If you don’t want it don’t take it. This pisses me off.

The fact that UH is being very proactive in the Heisman race promoting a defensive lineman is a huge step forward for the school and for the Heisman. Wisconsin didn’t do any such thing for JJ Watt.

The Washington Post article I posted below is a direct reflection on this bobblehead. It is making Ed Oliver Jr a national name, personality and brand.

If Ed were to win the Heisman, it would create untold value for him and his family in the future. The fact of the matter is UH is helping create for Ed his future brand. That is a very valuable asset he’s receiving with UH’s help.

4 Likes

Indeed. This is the stuff that increased funding allows. All we could do for Case were those signs. He might have gone to New York with this kind of marketing. Speaking of the old Case Heisman signs, anyone have one I can have?

The store right across from the stadium has two racks of #10 jerseys.

I haven’t visited that place. Is it a UH owned place that sells only UH gear or is it privately owned that primarily sells UH gear?

you won’t find an authorized Ed Oliver jersey being sold.

sure, there might be no. 10 jerseys. we’ve had lots of no. 10s.

there is no NCAA violation; there is no violation of the law; there is no moral depravity here.

someone suggested the profit should be given to Ed. Well, that’s the quickest way to end his college career as he would be ineligible.

and I’d bet if Ed didn’t want the promotion, he would have told the AD and it wouldn’t have happened.

there is a lot of misinformation and undue anxiety in this thread–relax everyone

3 hours to go…$500