Who will step up?

The two guys I thought would be invisible surprised me (Mills and Alley). The natural leader (Grimes) did alright but didn’t give the points.

If you don’t shoot any of those 3’s and drive the lane instead we win by 6 or more.

I wish coach would put a moratorium on the 3 until they learn how to play together. 3’s rarely bring you back when you’re playing from behind. They’re more useful as killers when you’re in the lead.

1 Like

The influx in talent has undoubtedly upset the team’s balance, and new playmakers like Grimes and Mills has definitely changed the chemistry. I chalk up Dejons threes and Fabian’s turnovers to returning guys trying too hard to prove they are the leaders on the court. Until the coach settles this and firms up his line up, the jostling will continue and we will continue to see some selfish plays.

1 Like

The last time we had as many visiting fans was two years ago while we were still playing at TSU and the they were Wichita State fans.

2 Likes

Like he has ever needed a reason to jack one up or go one on three. Talented yes…point guard no.

1 Like

I agree that Nate is the heartbeat of this team and from what I hear is the team leader. That has a down side in that our leaders are sophs – we are missing senior leadership which I think is important in college sports. We had it the last couple of years and it had a lot to do with how far we went.

On the other hand, they will continue to gain gravitas and the confidence of their teammates. By the time they are seniors, they will have attained a whole new dimension and will have a great impact on the kids coming in the next couple of years.

2 Likes

So, you didn’t see him the last 15 games last year ?

1 Like

Yes I did. Every home game and most tv. Very talented and can help the team. But his strength is not point guard.

To quote Billy Bean… I hate losing. I hate losing more than I like winning. Games like this will help down the road. We still have Oregon coming up. Let’s see how that goes.

I think he sees the floor better than anyone we have. He needs more practice time. Has been limited this year.

1 Like

We’ll see. For the sake of the team, I hope you are right.

A loss is a loss and they’ll learn from it. As a fan base, the last couple of years we’ve come to expect home victories. This is the second home loss in over two years! That’s amazing in itself!

4 Likes

And it was by only a point when the Coogs were not playing their best.

In the Alabama State game broadcast, I thought I heard Getty’s state that UH was 69-1 at home the last 4 years.

Is that true ?

No, we were 39-1 after the SMU home loss in 2017 (until Friday).

25-6 from 2015-16 through that SMU game.

Counting the BYU loss, we’re 64-8 at home since the beginning of the 2015-16 season. Pretty good.

1 Like

It is excellent.

Maybe he said 39-1 for the last 2 to 3 years…I probably misunderstood him.

1 Like

The Big E should be working with White . . . . . rule of thumb . . . . . bigs never, ever dribble the ball down low . . . . . results if rule is violated, TURNOVER . . . . .

IIRC, that’s why coach Guy V taught all of his big men the “Step”.

I really don’t think White is a post up player…his game is more moving around the lane and shooting the baseline jumper. He did have problems a few times against BYU but more than made up for with his 14 points. The only post up players we have on the roster , at least to me, are Harris and Gresham…now those are the ones who could benefit from Elvin or Hakeem…

I worry about where our points will come from. Grimes can own this team with Hinton as his sidekick. But does he have the personality?

1 Like

Grimes has the personality, but he just has to get comfortable being the guy again. Kansas tried to make him more of a true PG instead of what he is…what he showed tonight.

1 Like