Why a 10 Win Season next year is a pipe dream

Yeps. I always think of him being internal for some reason and this is like the third time in the last ten years someone has corrected me and then I remember. Getting hit in the head too much and aging is starting to mess with the memory.

Ian, look at how many coaches we’ve hired that weren’t internal hires that turned out badly. If all the external hires were great, every team would be champions. After Yeoman, we had Pardee (22-11), Jenkins (18-15), Helton (24-53-1), Dimmel (8-26), Briles (34-29), Sumlin (36-17), Levine (21-17), Herman (22-5), Applewhite (15-10), and Holgorsen.

Internal hires Jenkins, Levine, and Applewhite did better overall than Helton, Dimmel, and Briles but not as good as Pardee and Herman. However, Briles did win CUSA once with a 10-4 record and Helton won CUSA once with a 7-5 record in the middle of his two 1 win seasons, one 2 win season, and two 3 win seasons.

Jenkins had one good record 10-1, but two 4-7 records.

Briles had only one season with more than 8 wins; his seasons were 7-6, 3-8, 6-6, 10-4, and 8-5 for a 53% winning record. People on this board would have wanted him gone after two years and definitely after 3 – all of which were less than 8-5.

Levine was 5-7, 8-5, and 8-5 (60% wins). Major was 8-5 and 7-5 (60% wins).

What I found interesting is that so many guys on these boards complained about Major being a “down the hall” hire and were mad because they wanted to hire Todd Orlando which would have been a “down the hall” hire.

2 Likes