Why Coaches Win or Lose? Applewhite

The DC is good and Johnson isn’t a good play-caller, so… yeah, Johnson is worse.

3 Likes

Tulsa made us look clueless, not as inept as Johnson but far from a great hire. The collapse with Memphis and even East Carolina threw at will on us in the second half, we just kept scoring. Our DBs constantly lay back 10 yards. Everyone converts 3rd and long on us all season. He’s been far from a great hire.

You didn’t read anything above here… did you? Either that or you don’t like facts and let your feelings rule your life.

2 Likes

I don’t remember this at all, can you elaborate?

Watching football with my dad this past week (who played at A&M in te late 50s)… we all have noticed the same thing on MANY college football teams…

1st down, run it up the middle. It’s not just us. AND, most of the time it seems to fail.

Wish a real coach and not just us pretend coaches on here could explain why they do this. These are not dumb people. I wish I knew the rationale.

Facts such as holding teams to season lows matter more than wins I guess. Rankings and stats don’t necessarily correlate into wins. The facts are we were lit up by Tulsa and Memphis (and let a 17 point lead go) and allowed Tulane to pass at will. Another fact is we give up the 3rd and long consistently. So no Mrs. D’onofrio I don’t let feelings rule my life but nice conclusion you arrive at for me stating the FACTS. Come unhinged much when someone doesn’t agree with you?

Slightly off topic, apologies. 26 Seniors.
Has anyone charted the number of returning starters on both offense and defense?

Please quantify “good”.

Read my earlier response re Tulsa…they had 93 1st half yards. 28 points vs UH in that game were not on the DC. A 1 yard drive? We held them 1st and 2nd down…scored on 3rd.
A 6 yard drive? ok so maybe could hold to Fg instead TD.
Davis not playing to whistle and letting Wr go for 70 yd TD?
And finally Postma fumbling with 30 secs left and return for TD

We scored 17 offensive points vs a horrible defense from Tulsa and gave them 7 for sure and another 14 by giving them the ball a combined 7 yards from our goaline.

Memphis 2nd half was bad. 35 points(also 7 on KO ret). Although this might seem unfathomable…Memphis has scored 48 vs UCLA, 70 vs UConn, 56 vs Tulane, 66 vs SMU and 70 vs ECU. Not to mention 48 vs UH last year when CMD wasn’t here.
vs Orlando they scored on all 6 1st half drives…34 points and 14 4th qtr points to take lead twice. They are pretty good huh? What is more amazing is that CMD defense held them to 0 points in 1st half and forced 2 turnovers that led to 10 of our 17 point lead.

Let me explain ECU…I don’t necessarily agree with it but I think I understand his thinking.
CMD played more aggressively early…UH was up 28-3…he was playing press with Winchester…he got beat back to back plays, 2nd for long TD and he looked horrible…flailing at ball. He had seen his secondary…CBs in particular…blow coverages vs TT, Memphis and at times vs SMU. He now saw his best CB being exposed and realized that ECU was worst defense in country and couldn’t stop UH offense. So he gave them the underneath stuff knowing the only way this could become a game was if the UH defense gave up quick scores. It wasn’t pretty but worked. We were up 52-20…the defense scored a TD…the last TD was scored against 2nd and 3rd team defense…some guys played their only downs for season.

Last, we are only giving up 39% 3rd downs, far from best but not close to worst. Miami gives up 38%. most importantly UH gave up 21.8 points/gm…#35 in nation. It looks different than Orlando but gave up less points. And Orlando had 2 NFL DBs last year…CMD has a converted WR and former walk-on at CB…thats why playing off

3 Likes

We finished 86th in total defense yielding 417 yards a game. Lost to Tulsa (2-8), Tulane and a 6-6 Tech team while getting minimal turnovers and little pressure on the qb’s. Please stop the comparisons to Orlando’s D. If it wasn’t for his elaborate blitzing schemes while forcing qb’s to make quick decisions, UT wouldn’t be bowl eligible. He’s on path to be a HC coach soon. Whereas D’onofrio was out of work last year. I only wish he studied the Aranda/Orlando book of D harder in his off year.

2 Likes

Guys, discourse like this is not what we want here please.

3 Likes

No.

I thought we were talking defense, not total team performance. Last time I checked the defense doesn’t play offense or special teams.

Those games are addressed above from the defensive side of the equation.

1 Like

I’ll keep it civil in our disagreement.

Offense: 5 on offense if you count Catalon (Birden was technically the official starter when healthy). King, Catalon, Noble, B.Jones, J.Jones

Defense: 6 on defense if you count Carter as a starter. Carter, Oliver, Egbule, Myres, Johnson, Davis

Special Teams: 3. Roy, Novikoff, Wildberger

I also think Adams got hurt during the Tulsa game. In the 3rd quarter they just ran the ball up the middle on an entire drive until we had to overcompensate and they went around the edge. Hines is an outside linebacker that had to play inside due to depth. We have a glaring hole when Adams graduates.

2 Likes

So you are Major for a day. Who do you bring in? I’ll all for a new OC/DC.

H-town had it mostly right, the D was less the problem than the O. If you’re running a coordinator out of town it’s got to be Johnson, for sure.

1 Like

We get Eloph back from injury.
Lark was a starter at the end.
Brooker was a starter.
Wilder is coming back from injury.
Stuard will come back from injury.
Winchester is coming back.
Payton Turner got a lot of play time and looks like a gamer.
Could say the same for Anenih.

All-in-all, a lot of game experience is coming back except at receiver.

1 Like

Give me Brian Wright from Toledo. Not sure about his contract details but that’s who I want. His 2016 salary was $146k. Brian Johnson makes $440k a year.

3 Likes