Why didn’t we hire Spav?

If Spav was hired Coog Nation would have stroked out…TX St held SMU for awhile and all of the sudden he should have been hired over a PROVEN P5 HC…ask Aggie fans what they thought of him there as OC. Maybe he develops into a fine HC but let him prove it for few years. He’s 3-10 as a HC and you want to hire him…lol…Saban would have had a tough go last year…the program was in really bad shape whether we want to admit it or not

4 Likes

All I know is we better not finish 7th…:grin:

1 Like

He made critical mistakes at the end of the game with his play calling
Texas State is probably a good place for him to be at and learn.

1 Like

I heard during the game that he only was able to sign 7 players in his first year and that he signed 51 players in his second year.

I would love to know how he did that since the NCAA limits scholys to 25/yr and 95 total.

I liked the look of the Texas State stadium. I would not mind if we played a road game there every 4-5 years. They have historically brought decent crowds to campus. I would slot them ahead of Rice in the OOC rotation.

3 Likes

This thread surprises me.

Dana inherited a complete dumpster fire from Applewhite and staff. We invested in a heavy RS season to get older, stronger, bigger. We turned the team over big time with transfers and we have not played a game yet in year 2.

But we should have hired a first time head coach who use to be the OC for a year for our well established P5 HC and who Aggy fan torched over the two years and beyond he was the OC in Aggyland?

13 Likes

It surprises me that this surprises you

It used to be that coaches got four years to totally bring in ALL of their own recruits and learn the system. Some on here are ready to dump CDH after one year, having to RS over 30 players, dealing with many injuries and having transfers wait. Well, we were in every game last year until we would run out of gas. Most of those guys are back. All of the RS players practiced with the team and learned the system as did the transfers. The injured are back and we only lost four Seniors I believe.

Take a breath and see what year two brings. Year three will be even better.

Or he could have used all that he had last year and finished 6-6? Then would you be happy?

4 Likes

Coaches didn’t make insane money when the 4 year expectations existed either.

That said, it’s hardly time to give up on Dana. I’m really interested in what year 2 brings although I have no clue how to weight this crazy year. Lol

6 Likes

I’m going to have to agree with you. I was at every home game + OU and what I saw was a team that improved on fundamentals each game. I also saw us gassed in the second half, especially in the second half. Between red shirts and injuries we barely had enough players to field a team with two deep on both sides of the ball. My mind may be playing tricks but I seem to recall that we even had some walk-ons starting. I hope that our conference mates have the same opinion of us that the writers do and that Memphis players are not really worried about us.

5 Likes

It seems that some folks on here may want some cheese to go along with all of their whine.

2 Likes

I think the quote should be “do you want fries with that?”

Everything that glitters, isn’t Gold. Fool’s gold, in fact, glitters. Holgerson will be fine and I am glad he is here. We did not rehire Helton or Dimel.

4 Likes

This infatuation with P5 OC’s is crazy - its a risky venture

??? Where did I I call for hiring a p5 oc? I support CDH and despite the record last year, I think he is doing a good job and we will be much improved this year.

3 Likes

This is aging great!

1 Like