Why Kelvin Sampson spurned the NBA to stay at Houston

1 Like

anyone know a way around the paywall?

Before he pulled the trigger, Sampson wanted a commitment from the athletic department. He met three times with Rhoades and took the job with the understanding the school would build a practice facility and renovate Hofheinz Pavilion, which was built in 1969.

Sampson knew both things were necessary, even though he had accepted sight unseen. After his news conference, he toured Hofheinz for the first time. “The locker room was like a broom closet,” Kellen says. “We walked in and they’ve got a TV jimmy-rigged and cords everywhere, half-ass mounted in the corner.”

Rhoades told Sampson, “That’s exactly why I didn’t show you.”

Nine scholarship players were set to return. After a team meeting, only seven showed for the first practice. The next day it was six. The next day it was five.

“He jokes about it (now),” Kellen says. “I was scared to death he was serious that he wanted to go back and ask for his job back with the Rockets. He jokes about it… ha ha ha… that was real. There was a paranoia on my end because it was that bad.”

Yikes

1 Like

That’s crazy! Good read.

Basically, he told the admin at UH to put up or shut up !

Fortunately for UH, we had Renu and Tillman listening this time.

In the past, we would have still had Dickey.

Let’s not forget that Rhodes hires Dickey.

1 Like

Wow, for some of us on this board we were around when Hofheinz was new and very respected. To see it deteriorate over the years with no concern for impact on the program is distressing. It is my hope that with the practice facility and Fertitta Center in place, we will return to being a formidable power when it comes to recruiting, especially in our own back yard. We are making progress but we still have a ways to go. Getting to the Dance consistently will help us.

3 Likes

This was a really good piece. We’re unbelievably fortunate that CKS and family have made Houston their home.

4 Likes

The program is really on the upswing and I think it is difficult to even project the trajectory since we are accustom to Hofheinz. I believe this year confirms we are back and we go upward from here. Can’t wait to see the team play.

3 Likes

It’s funny how I used to see basketball season as something to pass the time between football seasons. Now my thinking is moving the other direction. I can’t wait until we’re spoiled tournament fans that expect a high seed every March.

8 Likes

We’re at the point where recruiting is in an all time high and it keeps trending up. CKS has this program on :fire:

6 Likes

We are so, so, so, so lucky to have CKS.

It was unbelievable that there was some folks on the boards that doubted his ability to get our program turned around smh :laughing:

3 Likes

I’ll never forget how Sampson built that team last year. He had everything going against him in a city that was paying no attention. Yet he forged a rugged, relentless…dare I say, powerful squad that went toe to toe with some great programs down the stretch. In the conference tourney I came to the realization that what I was seeing was not a bunch of overachievers but a very, very good basketball team. To see a coach peak his team at the end is one of sport’s great things of beauty.

Building off that thundering loss at WSU was the key IMO.

Just masterful.

9 Likes

Fantastic article.

2 Likes

Welcome back @pray10

1 Like

He took over five scholarship players playing in a dump, and went from bad to decent to a Devin Davis injury shy of making the tourney, to making the round of 32. But I’ll be darned if the words “hot seat” weren’t uttered by some in this fanbase

4 Likes

Ye who speaketh above me, speaketh the truth. Ahhhhhhhhhhh-meeeeeeeennnnn.

Perfect summary for last year’s team. They gave everything they had to give on the defensive end and Rob Gray found a way to score when it mattered. The best defense I’ve seen from UH in many, many years. Those kids got after it and pressured the ball. Loved the effort. That Michigan game is still a kick in the nut sack. Our kids deserved better.

4 Likes

Absolutley! Some people forget how strong both teams finished in year one and 2!

YA WOO PRAY!

2 Likes