Wichita State emerges as potential basketball-only addition to the AAC

Looking like a strong chance of happening. Thamel released an article saying that it’s pretty far along (won’t link Thamel articles after what he pulled during the bowl game - article is linked in the below SBNation article):

Conversations with sources around college sports this week revealed Wichita upgrading its league—likely to the American Athletic Conference—as a distinct possibility in the near future. This could happen in as soon as the next few months or may take a year or two. But the odds are increasing that the Shockers will end up somewhere else, with the AAC offering the highest profile and making the most sense.

There are rumblings that the Shockers are interested in bolting for the American Athletic Conference and that the infatuation is mutual. Wichita State would obviously give the American, whose NCAA Tournament combatants this year are SMU and Cincinnati, a boost.

Aresco didn’t flat out deny the Wichita State interest which makes me thinks this happens quickly.

On Thursday, Sports Illustrated reported Wichita State was interested in leaving the Missouri Valley in favor of the AAC. Aresco said he couldn’t comment on the possibility of Wichita State joining the league but refuted reports of the AAC potentially adding multiple non-football schools.

The possibility of Wichita State joining the American Athletic Conference has been discussed at the presidential level and is seen as increasingly likely, according to several sources in college athletics who recently spoke on the topic on the condition of anonymity.

A source directly connected to AAC members described Wichita State’s candidacy as strong and expectations among many schools are that the Shockers will be added. Another source involved in college athletics termed it “almost inevitable.”

A timetable is unclear for the possible addition of the Shockers, who would join the AAC for all of its current sports and give the conference a 12th basketball member.

But if Wichita State, or another non-football school such as Dayton or Virginia Commonwealth, were to join the AAC, UConn could leave its football where it is and move its other programs without leaving the AAC short of participating schools. But the conference presidents would have to approve such an exit, and it is considered highly unlikely it would.

And the wheels are now in full motion. The conference will decide shortly. If offered, Wichita State will accept. They would enter for the 2018-2019 season, in all sports except football.

1 Like

I hate writers who push an agenda when writing. The part about SMU and Cincy in the tournament was just stupid. Of course only one of the two teams in the tournament were at large, because it’s impossible to not get an automatic bid. Both would have been in as at larges so it doesn’t make sense to write it like that unless you are trying to make the conference seem weaker. Then the idea that the American would care to keep UConn football and lose the other sports is even more stupid to bring up.

1 Like

Now we just need the Shockers to keep Marshall around as the coach. To be honest, they’re a good add for all non-revenue sports. Solid add for the conference.

What never makes sense to me is that a conference would care about UCONN football; blew my mind that UCONN offered that up to the Big 12 as an option during expansion talks. If it wasn’t for their other sports, UCONN would be lucky to be in the MAC at this point.

There is definitely an agenda being pushed by a large portion of the Husky fanbase that want their basketball teams back in the Big East. Problem is that they’ve sunk a ton of money into that football program and they’re hoping for a landing spot in the B1G or ACC during the next realignment round which requires a football team with a pulse.

Of course, it isn’t the American’s fault that they suffered serious injuries prior to the season and couldn’t figure out how to get their multitude of 4* players to play well with each other. It also isn’t the conference’s fault that only 2 teams made it to the tourney when UCONN was expected to be that 3rd with a 4th being possible due to the top 3 in conference pulling another team up as well. Looking at the RPI, if UCONN could have been half-decent in out of conference play and didn’t lose to some of the worst teams in the AAC, Houston probably makes the tourney with the help of their 2 wins over the Huskies.

Good article about how moving to the AAC will affect Wichita State in all facets of athletics.

It’s also not a crazy distance for five members. And that’s where the root of this starts — with former MVC members Tulsa, Cincinnati, Memphis and Houston. Houston departed in 1960, before Memphis joined in 1967, so while all five never played in the MVC together, it’s enough of a connection to make some sense.

“The incentive for the AAC to act now comes down to NCAA units, which are worth nearly $1.6 million for every NCAA game that a team plays in,” Thamel wrote. “If Wichita State’s stout team makes a deep run next season, the potential haul of units —which are shared by the conference — would make an expedited timeline look wise.”

I have traveled through Wichita several times and I think the Shockers would be a great hoops and baseball addition to our conference…hope we close the deal…

Only a UConn fan could think that the AAC would be OK with UConn being a football only member. lol

Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall, in an interview with Dari and Mel on ESPN Radio earlier this month, addressed the speculation.

“The reason I came to Wichita State after all those years at Winthrop is I wanted a chance for at-large births, and we’ve gotten four,” he said. “We’ve been in the tournament six years in a row now and we’ve gotten four. I want to continue to have that opportunity. Now, if we can do that in the Missouri Valley Conference, great. If not, maybe the American gives us a better opportunity, but I definitely don’t want it to always come down to the last Sunday like a couple of prognosticators were saying, if we don’t win the Valley Tournament we’re done, cause I got fed up with that at Winthrop.”

Looks like the announcement may come next week possibly.

A likely scenario outlined is that at least some American Athletic Conference athletic directors are meeting in Phoenix at the Final Four this week, perhaps to make a final recommendation to university presidents to set up a vote by conference call and an invitation. While it’s not typical for all university presidents to attend the Final Four, some that are big on athletics may also attend for formal or informal discussions regarding Wichita State.

Once the Final Four is over, the announcement can take the spotlight and all parties can get busy with the heavy lifting of scheduling and planning. Wichita State would give the AAC a 12th basketball school. The Shockers would join the AAC in all sports. The addition of football is not a consideration.

https://twitter.com/UHpres/status/848320326052204544

2 Likes

Just about a done deal.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/849258314571669505

1 Like

Should help with the loss the AAC suffer when Louisville decided to bolt.

SMU
Cincy
UConn
Wichita St

Are known as big time basketball programs.

I’m not sure SMU should be included in that group since they haven’t won a tourney game in decades. Looking at what’s happening there, I think they take a step back next year.

Also worried about UCONN who seem to also be losing a lot of players from a very good recruiting class last year as well as 3 of their starters from this year’s team. Ollie seems to be having some problems there.

Cincy, Wichita State, Houston, UCF might be the 4 favorites next year.

Wichita State immediately becomes the favorite in our league. They’ll be top 10 in the preseason poll next year. They’re legit.

Kelvin’s job just got tougher.