Wichita State perspective

Wichita State to the BigEast makes too much sense. That conference is overrated in my opinion, anyway… They could go in and compete immediately.

1 Like

Villanova’s great run has made up for the majority being mediocre.
They do get decent ratings (on a basketball scale) and provide lots of competitive content w big crowds and larger/medium city press coverage.

I saw an article:
If BE adds another 5 urban hoop centric teams they could get a million + more per team on the next TV contract.
Its $4.6 million now.
Easier now that UConn broke the only catholic school membership.

For example: Dayton, St Louis, VCU, Drake, Evansville etc.
Wichita would fit in nicely in that plan.

1 Like

The remaining G5 might not be part P5 league and will form their own league thats what I heard.

College football, as we’ve known it since the Dawn of Time, is on the verge of ruination.

3 Likes

Wonder if Memphis willing to move their bkb to BE. But what would they do to the football? I do feel bad for Memphis.

1 Like

My worry is the football upper tier breaks from the NCAA Hoop Tourney and all the greatness of the david v goliath goes away.

They wait till the next wave of expansion before they do anything drastic.

They have a chance to put together some great hoop and football seasons in AAC 2-0.

Memphis has only made the NCAA Tourney ONE time since joining the AAC.
NIL should be the game changer w their Fed Ex connection but until now it’s been a struggle.
It’s something that probably hurt them in expansion.

2 Likes

They won’t tamper with the Tourney because so much money is made on it.

1 Like

The five so called “Power” conferences have that designation thanks to the NCAA by laws which designate them as such, regardless of the size of their TV deals.

ESPN doesn’t determine that.

The rat will determine the contract details, including MONEY . . . . . Not saying we will, but we could be a P5 with not much money . . . . .

1 Like

Highly unlikely Bro. Nearly every projection I’ve seen shows us making anywhere from three to five times in the Big 12 what we were making in the AAC.

1 Like

As of right now, there’s not really an advantage to this arrangement. NFL rules make it so that there’s not really an advantage to sponsoring a team; you’d still have to hope the players fall to you in the draft.

If the WSU AD is truly not looking around = today needs to be his last day.
https://twitter.com/A_Twice3/status/1436074724115816458

Memphis, Wichita State, Temple will have to step up. If they do they can be and will be a decent three team NCAA tournament conference in the lines of Atlantic 10. I think they should try to rope in Dayton, VCU, Saint Louis and Richmond as basketball only teams. That will make them a 4-5 team basketball conference. They should also add two teams for football like Coastal Carolina and Appalachian State.

Side note: chart in the article with team expenditures. Houston basketball budget is largest in the league, even more than Memphis.

1 Like

Doesn’t included Penny moving company expenses though. Included that, Memphis budget should be a lot higher than us.

5 Likes

Wichita State has proven they can be successful anywhere. One of my favorite non-UH programs.

5 Likes

Agreed… very similar to UH in the way they are constantly dealing with overshadowing in state universities.

1 Like