With Their Young UH Teammate Racked by Grief, DeJon Jarreau and Cougars Show That Kelvin Sampson’s Program is a True Family - Papercity Mag

15 Likes

Contrary to what some have said, Dejon seems like a very mature kid. Glad to have him at UH. Here’s an asset to the school. And an asset to the athletics program.

7 Likes

Good read and thanks for sharing. This team is by far my favorite team to watch and follow. Stories like this just reinforces that growing love and respect I have for them. They play hard and for each other EVERY game. With all the antics in pro sports I have really enjoyed seeing this team come together.

6 Likes

I know little about Chris Baldwin, other than these Paper City articles he writes. However, I always find them well-written, insightful and enjoyable. Sure it helps that he is so positive about the UH program - but even in our hometown, finding commentary as good as this is difficult.

12 Likes

Very touching story and well written article!

1 Like

There’s an old saying and it fits the kids in sports, “They don’t care how much you know if they don’t know you care.” Our kids know how much Sampson cares. His true family atmosphere transfers to the team and helps them bond as a unit.

The team knows that Sampson’s tough love is just that and it allows him to coach them hard because they know he’s trying to build them into better players and is not tearing them down. I have seen that ever since he first arrived. I saw it with Rob, Galen, and the others. He was on Rob like white on rice and Rob loved him for it.

Sampson’s legacy is much more than wins and losses, it’s a legacy of boys learning how to become good men, and for some, learning for the first time what caring really means.

6 Likes

I want to give you props for fitting all those words in a title…

4 Likes

thanks for the link…great read.
GO COOGS!!

On a related note, Kelvin chose Marcus to be the guest player for last nite’s radio show

1 Like