You can see the regret in Tom Herman's eyes when asked about Houston

Herman arrived at Texas with a lot of hype after going 22-4 in his two seasons as the head coach of Houston, which included a 6-0 record against teams ranked inside the top-25.
Through 15 games with the Longhorns, Herman is 8-7 and 1-4 against top-25 teams. Texas’ offense is still shaky from last season, something Herman and offensive coordinator Tim Beck continue to be criticized for. But mainly, a loss to Maryland in Week 1 followed by an unimpressive seven-point win over measly Tulsa have turned up the heat on Herman."
1-4 against top 25 since going to UT. Things have changed for Herman. Remember when he used to answer that UH had the easiest path to NY6 bowl. I think he could very well miss the UH days, he liked winning.

1 Like

Holy cow those are some elite kids that family raised

3 Likes

Damn dude. Gotta give it to em then. :slight_smile:

Nope…from the moment Herman stepped on campus at UH, he immediately began working on getting to UT via his relationship with Mack Brown. Wouldn’t have mattered if we had offered $1.5M more.

12 Likes

247 now has an article that the headline say Herman doesn’t flinch as the pressure heats up. So I tweeted back to them, “He never flinches, he just twitches.”

13 Likes

His UH teams played with a passion that the whorms lack. At the time I thought he
was the reason why we were so good. It turns out to be the players. The young men who clobbered Fla. State and Oklahoma were special.

10 Likes

I mean two Coogs from the 2015 team already have SB Rings

6 Likes

I don’t agree with Title of this thread. Can assure you Tom has no regrets about leaving Houston-0- nada- none!! Giving UH way too much credit. As mentioned here already his dream job was UT or tOSU.

3 Likes

Is that Mack Brown asking the question at the 8:55 mark?

USC is not Tulsa. They have some great players. USC will win the game.

4 Likes

Matt Butkus will be at the game. And, on the trojan sideline. I asked him to tell Helton that we coogs are with them. Additionally, to please run up the score. That, in fact, there was no scoring high enough in our opinion. :rofl:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be too hasty about writing TH’s demise. He has a very talented nucleus of players and coaches. He didn’t win at UH because he was mentally challenged. Just like he found a way to win at UH he will win at UT. That is, if the cigar smoking alumni give him time. I think that’s the only issue.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if regret is the right word, but at the very least it looks like he was probably feeling pretty nostalgic about his time here after getting that question. There was a video going around of him trying to hype up the student section at halftime of the Tulsa game and the students clearly did not give a crap. Just such a big change.

I think his struggles there so far vs. his immediate success here are a combination of Levine leaving him some serious talent (particularly Greg Ward) and it being difficult to impossible for him to recreate the culture he had here for a number of reasons (UT players don’t have the same chip on their shoulder, hard to get guys to buy in to being a family and sacrificing everything when you ripped the heart out of the guys you left behind, running down Strong who the UT players seemed to love and look at as a father figure).

1 Like

I have said a few times that TH’s tone and demeanor while at a Houston (G5) school was going to be far more charming to the media than how it would play at the richest program in the country. At UH he was the little engine that could (Giant Killer) and at Texas he is the blowhard who can’t win with EVERYTHING handed to him. He would have been wise to stick around and enjoy the momentum he had here, but he is arrogant. Arrogance has a way of biting you in the ass. So here we are. You made a bad decision now you have to live with the pressure cooker that is Austin.

9 Likes

I hope that in 7 years Herman comes back to Houston to play a game and there is as much progress in the next seven years as the last seven years. Sumlin was blown away by the difference between the University he left and the University he visited last weekend.

11 Likes

Ward and a host of others that weren’t recruited by Herman made him look great and he knew how to sell the program. They don’t need the Ra Ra up there in the land of rainbows and unicorns they pay for wins. His Shtick is growing old on the Whorns. Here’s hoping Clay’s team finds their game and smashes Herman’s Whorns by 20 or more. That would make for an amusing press conference.

6 Likes

Good to know UT is “working towards” being as good as UH.

8 Likes

UT . . .
IMG_20180911_165921
HA! HA! HA!

3 Likes

He could have been synonymous with Houston Cougar football. Not because he is a genius coach but because we are poised to become a great football program and he could have been THE guy.

He could have been our Woody, Bo, JoePa, Ara, Bear etc. He could have been the guy.

Now just another coach who can’t live up to Royal legend.

1 Like