2016 - 17 Athletic Department reveneus

Curious how you think they should turn out.

Here is my prediction. If Applewhite continues to do his “no starting job is safe” (meaning he plans to do the same thing and expecting different results) the season will be much like the last. We will look great against most bad teams, we will have a bad loss to at least one bad team, we will look good against one good team and we will lose the second half to a couple of better coaches.

I’d say that we retained a typical amount if not more. Most schools get a new head coach and he brings an entirely new staff with him. We promoted a coordinator. I don’t believe your premise that most schools that lose a successful head coach to a P5 program have retained a good portion of the staff. You think UH is unique in this matter because that makes UH special I guess.

We’ve lost a lot of coaches but it’s not unprecedented. We’ve lost 3 coaches in the last 11 years. Off the top of my head, Arkansas State lost 3 coaches in consecutive years from 2011-2013. Cincy lost 3 coaches from 2004-2012. Boise State lost 3 coaches from 1997-2005 and then another in 2014.

All of the successful G5 programs lose coaches and they all take their coaching staffs with them. At the very least, they always take the best assistants unless they remain behind as the new HC (as has happened twice here). Don’t forget that some assistants did remain with Levine and Applewhite too. The offenses and defenses regularly change with coaching changes too. That tends to be part of it.

UH could very well simply be a middle of the pack P5 team like WVU or TT with occasional great years. We swung from great to god awful in the SWC as well as CUSA

Our history proves the above.

Despite delusions by some, the big boys in the power conferences aren’t afraid of us. More money will mean we can either afford to continue where we are or even get marginally better.

I’d be happy with Utah type P5 results with aspirations of achieving TCU level P5 results. Right now I’d be ecstatic with a TCU, Utah or Boise State type G5 run on dominance though.

2 Likes

If we get into a P5 we will rock it. This is not the UH of old. We have facilities and support and a competant administration that gets it. We keep all that 4-5 star talent from Houston that goes elsewhere and will would rock it. Period.

1 Like

Up until just a few months ago we had a less than stellar AD who made some questionable hires.

There was a time the MAC was Rockin the non BCS football world and I hate to think that the AAC will wane in the future

Well since this is the football board, let’s see how getting into the SEC has affected Arkansas as they thought they would "rock it "…championships…ZERO…

They have a rabid fan base, statewide support, lots of funds…and they hired Hunter Yurachek.

OK, forget that last part !!!

To be a Big Boy in any conference, you need a really good coach with a proven track record…these guys are few and far between. Without that, you can compete, but will never be a big boy.

Who knows who the next one will be …but if he happened to come to UH before he hits the big time, he will not be here long !

1 Like

As much as I want to get into a P5, I realize that the first few years will be a struggle. It is much easier to compete against P5 level competition 2-3 times a year than to have to do so for 8 weeks. G5’s just do not normally have the depth in talent to ride through the injuries. The ability to build that depth (ie attract better and better talent) will depend on our ability to win. It will not be an easy road as some would suggest, but it is a journey I can’t wait to get started on. Let’s go!

2 Likes

I don’t know. We already attract 3* and occasoional 4* guys as well as high level transfers and now top Grad transfers. I believe we would be somewhere in the middle of ANY conference we went to. Ofcourse, you schedule 2-3 soft OOC schools in the beginning, beat the bottom dwellers in your own conference.

In the Little 12 we would be in the middle right away. And we would be taking recruits away from BU/TT/OU/OSU etc.

Let’s face it…the main reason for needing to be in a P5 is financial !!!

1 Like

Microanalyze the word crush however you want. To me it is no different than saying winning convincingly, wide margin, or comfortably.

I think they will be a ten win team this year and potentially better if they stay healthy.

Disagree per what I saw with Memphis, but agree to disagree.

Please don’t tell me what I think.

Arkansas State had it worse than us but you can’t throw Boise State in there with the long run of Petersen. Cincinnati had a lot of turnover because of coaches getting fired.

I understand the concept. No need to be condescending. My opinion just differs from yours. I won’t break down every team to support my opinion, I can tell you are dead set on yours.

I just want to use that P5 money to bring back grass to the stadiums!!! We committed baseball suicide with what they did to Cougar Field. Fudge artificial turf!!!

I was referring to Boise before the long run of Petersen. They lost 3 coaches over 8 years and still continued their run. In fact, they took it to the next level.

Cincy didn’t have turnover because of coaches getting fired. The 3 coaches I’m referring to were all hired away (Dantonio, Kelly, and Jones).

Sorry if I’m coming across as condescending. That’s not my intention. I’m just trying to discuss our sides of it.

It’s nice to be an optimist but let’s not hide any optimism or pessimism as facts. Let’s give out some optimistic hypotheticals and then finish with facts. Let’s say, when we get to a P5, get a percentage of the PUF, get an equal share of TV revenue, keep our president, our AD and all of our coaching staff for 20 years, increase our stadium to 60k and regularly sell it out even against OOC G5 opponents and bottom dwelling conference opponents even in years we go 5-7.

With all of that very optimistic outlook, we still don’t keep “all” or even most of the talent in Houston.
Facts why it won’t happen:
Some recruits actually have a dream of a career after football and UH doesn’t offer every major.
Some recruits love their parents dearly but want some breathing room so they don’t want to be on a campus where mom and dad can come knocking on the dorm room door at 7pm on a Friday night.
Some recruits get indoctrinated into being fans of particular schools and aspire to play for that school.
Some recruits get sold on school history such as national championships.
Some recruits love playing in front of the biggest crowds every home game. (100k > 60k)
Some recruits get promised by other programs to start the first year. (sometimes its a lie)
Some recruits get recruited illegally. (illegal contact, money, job offers to parents, etc)

Note (following not factual) just reasonable :slight_smile:
Even if all of our most optimistic plans came true, schools like UT, A&M and Alabama will have things to offer we can’t offer. So it’s actually being optimistic to say we get half the 4-5 star talent in Houston and sometimes, Houston doesn’t have more than 10. Getting 5 to 8 four stars from Houston every year would be great, but still wouldn’t be enough with all the other optimistic possibilities to “dominate” P5.

If we follow the Baylor model and schedule ULM, ILL, and UNT , you are 3-0. Then conference foes comne into play. Are you saying we can’t 3 of the ma of now? Let alone with an increased recruiting advantage?

The other teams in the p5 conference would have access to the same recruits so talent levels would be the same.

Anybody that does not agree with your point has its head in the sand. We are the dormant volcano waiting to erupt. Oh yeah it is convenient to say we had bad years in the SWC. The ones making these comments purposely leave out the uta and atm driven probation. There is one reason alone that we are not in a P5. SCARED I TELL YOU. These same Schools are scared #$%&^%ess of us. OU statements during the so called small12 expansion said it all. These are a bunch of scared Schools.

1 Like

OK So, without looking to head up your own butt, tell us the differences between us and SMU. Are they a dormant volcano as well?

That statement will make it even more interesting considering that SMU took our place from 81 to 84 until “uta” did their thing.