2022 MLB Playoffs:

I can’t believe their closer hung a slider to Pena……1-2 in that situation, could have thrown the slider a foot outside and Pena would have whiffed.

After Pena got the base hit I was hoping Servais would bring in Ray……this is not last year’s Robbie Ray, his location which has always been suspect has been off this year….

Yordan went over 116 mph on that exit velo….had he got under it a bit more that would have been every bit of 500 feet.

1 Like

I’m sorry but this is the baseball board….keep the football references out of here……and don’t you dare compare this years football team to the Astros.

Nah. Great finishes and great wins. If we’re playing the rules game, this is the Cougar Baseball board, so Astros talk doesn’t belong either. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Bringing Ray in is a perfect example of a manager sticking to “the book” instead of using his brain. Alvarez hit .321 vs lefties this year, and Ray gave up a ton of homers (which he also did last year, just with fewer men on base). Add to that the obvious challenge of using a starter as a closer for the first time ever and with men on base. Just stupid all the way around, but I’m glad he did it.

Padres trying to channel their inner Astros. Just cut the Dodgers lead from 5 to 2 in the 5th.

That took some of the sting out of the Pujol"s HR off Lidge!!

Too soon. :rage:

2 Likes

Hoping that yesterday proves Yuli has one more post season in him.

1 Like

who would you rather have on your team Judge or Alvarez. That is a close call, they are the two best hitters in baseball and there isn’t a close 3rd. Judge is probably a better outfielder, but Alvarez’ throw yesterday was pretty impressive.

Oh heck why not have them both. Judge is a free agent, and we need a centerfielder, seems like a match made in heaven.

Pollard…The pitch to Pena was lower outside and slid to the absolute lower corner of the zone. It was a good pitch and even better hit. So glad Pena is our SS than breaking the bank for Correa.

Coog 51…Who would you rather have on your team…Judge or Alvarez? Thankfully that decision has already been made…Alvarez is an Astro.

1 Like

It was a joke.

Sorry Goose, the slider was hung……a slider , especially with two strikes should never get any of the plate….the one he hit was over the plate.

Nothing to argue over.

I was glad they rolled with Pena and let Carlos walk….I would have spent the money on Springer but I think he wanted out anyway……from everything I read, Springer was one of the biggest offenders of 2017….but instead of staying he took the first decent offer to get out of town……had they been in the same situation I don’t think Bregman or Altuve would have done that……but now I’m on a tangent.

Pena will get better with slider recognition as he gets older….I think he will be an all-star in a year or two….saves Crane from having to spend on SS.

1 Like

Noticed Verlander rarely got over 94 but his off speed stuff was great.
He normally hits 97 regularly. Just wondering what is going on

1 Like

OK. You convinced me.

1 Like

I think he was sick. He looked like he was under the weather. He hit 98 a couple of times.

This is a fascinating read. Yordan might have played the greatest game EVER.

2 Likes

The St. Louis Cardinals had Albert Pujols for the majority of his celebrated career. During his time as a Cardinal there were few better.

The Astros have Yordan Alvarez, a very similar type of hitter, for what I hope will be the majority of his career.

With Albert retiring, it’s interesting that Alvarez is emerging to become the next Albert Pujols. Yordan is in good company. Few better.

5 Likes

That was a shot… you got to be brain dead to go at Yordan in that situation. No way Ray intended to throw it there…nibble the corners at best. He’s the one dude M’s had to have circled in lineup that “we’re not letting him beat us” As told son when he came up…“he goes yard here, he’s Stro All-Time Legend”…BOOM…helps to ease the sting from Pujols '05 shot that NASA is still tracking, last seen going by Jupiter

1 Like

I first started following Yordan in AA and knew he was special……Sluggers come around often but he is so much more….I think in a couple of years you will see him make a run at a triple crown.

Most of his homers especially lately have been solo shots….pitchers rarely give him anything to hit with guys on base or scoring position……And that’s even with Tucker hitting behind him.

He reminds me of a young, slimmed down Papi.

Love that his parents were there….and how his dad knew that he just missed the pitch before but knew damage was coming.

1 Like

Despite KTuck on deck I half expected them to walk him….but they didn’t have the guts….

What I mean by that is the optics…. Say they put Yordan on base……yes, tying run is now at second which is crazy……but if Ray is coming in….he had a better chance of getting Tucker out than Yordan….considering how Yordan hit in his previous at bats….
The should not have pitched to him……If Tucker beats you, tip your cap…

2 Likes

Pujols or Ortiz? Either would be great for the Astros.