2023-24 Houston Cougars Basketball Season

I’m going to hold out hope :joy:

1 Like

Does anyone have any pictures of how empty the stadium used to be before Sampson came in? I am creating a project on culture building and Sampson rejuvenation of our program is one of the examples I want to showcase!

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1654127005993152518?s=46&t=vr92CENP84_1akCtfW3ehQ
Looks like everybody is really high on us with adding Cryer and Dunn. Plus TA, Sharp, Shead, Roberts, Francis will all get better

2 Likes

Uh oh as per our resident experts, in Big 12, it was a Kansas’s world after Hunter pick up and we were all just living in it.

His current preaseason rankings after the Dickinson decision

1.Kansas
2.Duke
3.Michigan St
4.Marquette
5.Houston

If Arkansas gets Ron Holland, could they jump into the Top 5?

Kansas may not be done either adding players. Mackenzie Mgbako, former Duke commit, Kansas could potentially land him. Kansas could target another shooter also

https://247sports.com/Player/Mackenzie-Mgbako-46109285/

goodman and cbs (parrish) both note in their podcasts, they rank self/kansas and houston/sampson high regardless because our coaches have the track record … kansas didnt look like word beaters before hunter and were still top 5 …we were top 10 before lj and dunn were added… the rankings do little to actual comps but who caries the momentum… for example fau isnt a top 5 team and texas isnt a top 25 (as of today)

but you missed my point…i never said we are in a kansas world with the hunter add, i flat said with their roster today we could probably compete with them… the issue in noted is that they have multiple open ships and tied to some monster recruits… thats what makes them scary. is that they can get drastically better

1 Like

I will feel good of our 6 guard rotation though there are assumptions but the probability of Arceneaux and Sharp playing at a much higher level is high, same goes with Ramon. The concern is in the front court and we need an impact player. It cannot just be another body. I realize that Kansas will be formidable and the competitor CKS is, he will be ready.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cr2IjBwLlCr/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
37% from 3 in conference play. 35% from 3 overall. I think he’s going to continue to get better as he has every year. Cryer and Dunn will be a really good 1-2 punch scoring the ball. With Sharp coming off bench. Those are 3 guys who you really have to close out on and can’t sag off.

Dunn shot looks smooth and I agree that his shooting %s will continue to improve. I’m hoping to actually have the spacing similar to the Armoni & Corey lineups again.

Shead will be a solid shooter and we have two weapons on the bench with Sharp and TA.
If TA can play some 4 then even better and maybe we can play 6 guards.

IMO that will depend on 1 of 3 things

A. We get a big that can stretch the floor
B. Roberts shoot 3s
C. Jamal can shoot consistently from 3

I’m not banking on Roberts spacing the floor at this point but you never know. Hopefully a stretch big is on tap at this point.

1 Like

Jamal being more consistent is a likely option. We started 2 bigs who didn’t shoot 3s with Armoni and Corey, so it’s possible to still have spacing if Jamal can be consistent. Also we need Roberts to at least move out to 15 feet which is possible. But getting a big that can shoot is probably the most likely option

I think Shead is who he is but definitely improvement is possible

1 Like

TA can be a stretch 4 and start if he keeps working over the summer

1 Like

i wouldnt say armoni or corey lineups…

its unquestioned dunns improvement as a shooter year to year… but he is still a under the screen guy … armoni and corey were sharp shooting from day 1 and quick trigger guys, not counting devin and fabian were automatics mid ranges guys as spacers

if we have better spacing imo it probably coming from sharp and arc… both are realistic jumps to be top shooters next year… sharp is close… and arc issue is confidence to shoot, and i think that is something can “could” be overcome in 1 offseason

1 Like

Lol I probably went to far but I think the spacing should be better than last year depending on what the player improvement looks like.

1 Like

Sharp could turn out to be a great shooter here. Anyone know how his surgery went and if or when he will start working out?

1 Like

The thing about Shead and why he’s so weird to judge as a shooter, and maybe I’m just being too optimistic, but his shooting slumps always come in spurts. I remember last year I did the math and Shead shot like 39% from 3 in like 25 games, but the other 13 he shot like 10%:joy:. Started conference play shooting 0-17 from 3 the first 6 games. This year he did something similar. He started off the season shooting really bad. But after the road Cincy game he was shooting around 35% consistently from 3. Which is pretty good for college. If he can just stop going through those 6-7 game stretches were he shots AWFUL he would be a manageable threat from 3. For example this year from UNF to home smu he shot 6/29 from 3 20%. Makes his % look so much worse but throughout the whole season I don’t feel him shooting that bad. But when he’s off he’s OFF

Seems like we had too many forced shots in the half court game because of the time clock.

2 Likes