2023-24 Houston Cougars Basketball Season

https://twitter.com/CBKReport/status/1663659932451848193?cxt=HHwWgoC-zZz5wJYuAAAA

Does practice start tomorrow morning or do our boys wait until next Monday?

Projected lineup:
J Shead - point person
E Sharp - 3 in the corner
D Dunn - setting up a base at the FT line
J McFarland - stretch 3
J Roberts - heart, not height

Off the bench:
LJC - instant offense
J Francis - Swat Central until he fouls out
T Arceneauxxx - Sexiest player in NCAA
J Tugler - Pro Bowl TE

5 Likes

I think Arceneaux will start at the 3, over Dunn

Dunn can sub in for Shead, or at the 2 wings. Will be very versatile next yr

Shead
Cryer
Arceneaux
Roberts
Francis

Dunn - 6th man
Sharp
Tugler - backup 4
Lath - backup 5

Starting Arceneaux, could help him be more aggressive in games. Coach alluded to it last season. Hes not used to coming off the bench

2 Likes

Cryer isnā€™t backing up Sharp.

4 Likes

It is what it is. In CKS we trust

2 Likes

ehog is drinking

1 Like

Fun but very off

Bold take but Iā€™m with it

i think for game 1 its dunnā€¦ i have a hard time seeing it otherwiseā€¦ not unless the international scrimmages shows insane growth from arcā€¦

but i do think by mid season after a loss, sharp and arc will have a chance to jump into the starting rotation

1 Like

also if we dont pick up another big i have more faith in sharp jumping than arcā€¦ sapcing is just a big issue otherwise

1 Like

The only thing with Sharp is, hes 6ā€™3"

So you got Shead and Cryer under 6ā€™2". As your two starters

You kinda need that 3rd guard with more sizeā€¦like Arceneaux or Dunn at 6ā€™5"

On paper, yeah Dunn seems way ahead of Arceneaux for that starting role. 3.7ppg last season :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

dunns defense nor rebounding was notable so his size isnt really an edgeā€¦ we ran plenty of sasser, shead, sharp lineups last yearā€¦

im just worried about the spacingā€¦ jwan doesnt shoot, francis doesnt shoot, arcenueax is scared too shootā€¦ shead is just an okay shooterā€¦ the spacing is just a messā€¦ sharp being a quick trigger shooter is the best chance at spacingā€¦

that is with the roster as is, if we got a 5 with any offensive prowess, id lean arceneaux thoā€¦as the big can be leaned on for offense and we can used the 3 for defense/rebounding

1 Like

Lol, youā€™re right. If Sharp is shooting high 30s% from 3pt, having him and Cryer on floor would be great for spacing

Theres alot of guys, im intrigued about next season. Arceneaux is probably at the top of my list

How big a jump will he take? Coach said he wasnt an Alpha type in high school. Didnā€™t see it last yr. Will he be just a piece next season or take on more of a leadership role (even with Shead, Jwan, Cryer there as upper classmen)

We could run a lineup of Cryer at the point and Sharp at shooting guard while Shead gets rest on the bench. Thatd be an exciting backcourt to watch on offense.

1 Like

We running 4 guards often next seasonā€¦ Count on it.

Sharp, Arc & Dunn will all get plenty of PT.

1 Like

Will not be surprised to a see a huge difference in UH Dunn than Temple Dunn.

4 Likes

We have plenty of evidence that players play different in our culture

7 Likes

One thing of note:

Chris Harris Jr averaged 1.5 personal fouls in 11.2 mpg in 2018-2019.

Jaā€™Vier Francis averaged 1.6 personal fouls in 10.3 mpg in 2022-2023.

Similar numbers and Harris wasnā€™t unplayable the next season because of his fouling. So hopefully Francis can follow his way and not be a fouling machine. Harris averaged 2.0 fouls the next season with 18 mpg.

Other numbers are quite similar comparing Harrisā€™ 19ā€™ season vs Francisā€™ 23ā€™ season.
0.3 turnovers for each
1.0 bpg for Harris/ 1.1 bpg for Francis
3.3 rpg for Harris/3.5 rpg fro Francis
2.5 ppg for Harris/ 4.3 ppg for Francis
73.2 fg% for Harris/ 71.3 fg% for Francis
20.7 FT% for Harris/ 59.1 FT% for Francis

Iā€™m currently watching some of the full games from the 19ā€™ to get a better feel for how Chris Harris played that season so I can compare it to Francis this past season. Itā€™s been awhile so I need a refresher.

4 Likes

I hated Covid ended that season before Harris got play in the tournament

5 Likes