2023 Transfer Portal

Hill’s ONE flaw?!?

Oh wait, you’re talking about Jaylen Hill. Never mind…:wink:

6 Likes

you never explained why you want ramon to stay

We were capable of winning the natty on four occasions with Sampson’s philosophy. I think having a defender like Ramon is still valuable.

4 Likes

ramon isnt that notable a defender…and him being on the court limits our offense … he hustles like a madman… but there are other plays who can hustle who would add more offensively and defensively…it would free up a ship to add a shooter

1 Like

Ok I will. I went to the gym and then had dinner then got distracted and started watching the game.

Here’s why I am a Ramon believer and would want him to stay for next year. I’m not writing an essay haha but I’ll do an outline.

• I believe Ramon Walker’s offensive game has become underrated and he can become a better offensive player for us. Maybe not great but good.

I liked how Ramon’s shot became more consistent as his freshman year went on. He also made some nice moves like a shot fake and two dribbles for a pull-up midrange jumper. I think he could expand on that and become a better finisher with his size. His shot was looking better during the last month of the season. It looked less clunky and his hand looked smooth on the roll off.

• Ramon can be a good defender

I don’t think Ramon is going to be Davion Mitchell or an elite defender but I think he can be good. He showed good defense his freshman year. His biggest issue getting blown by but I thought he did well on defense for the majority of the season. Truman wasn’t that good on the defensive end his freshman year. He had other issues like falling for pump fakes and jabs and overplaying his defender. I think Ramon showed potential to be a reliable defender off the bench. I just think he needs to slim down a bit in the offseason.

• Culture/Locker room Guy

So I don’t think Ramon is going to be a star. But I think every team needs a guy who will be solid off the bench and be committed to the program/a good locker room presence. Ramon gives me those vibes. He seems happy to be here. He is committed to the program and will do the little things like that sequence against Wichita State or Ok State. He hit some big shots and showed potential his freshman year (a year which he planned to redshirt). I know this is probably a questionable take but I just have a feeling for Ramon. I just see toughness, heart, and a winner in Ramon. Someone who isn’t a star but will play his role to win. I might prefer Ramon from last year off the bench compared to Arceneaux this year. Even though I think Arceneaux has the highest ceiling on the team and will be a stud. If we’re just talking this year I think I’d rather have 2022 freshman Ramon.

8 Likes

After injuries have plagued us in our last 3 tourney runs I wouldn’t mind keeping him for depth

Dream portal haul would be getting Cryer and a big that is at least a serviceable like Carlton was

2 Likes

Hey Pesik

When I get done at the gym I’m gonna come home watch a couple reruns of Golden Girls and then post some gibberish….but first I gotta finish at the gym( don’t know if I mentioned that earlier).
So then after my workout I’ll do it.

1 Like

He’s a 55 year old man, he can handle it.

2 Likes

He made some good points, js @pesik

Foot - 1 P - 0

Raise your hand if you’re interested in another @pesik d measuring contest

Did he?

Know way in he// I’m taking RW next year over a second year TA.

And “culture/lockeroom guys” handle their off court issues without anyone even knowing there is an issue….so they are not a distraction for the team….it doesn’t mean you can’t talk about it with a couple of guys you are closest to or one of the coaches in private….after this season I would not go out of my way to call him a lockeroom guy.

none of wat you said is wrong… but that doesnt address the issue as to why there is a desire to have him enter the portal

the roster is in desperate need of players but we only have 2 open ships…someone has to come off their scholarship for us to add players…its not that we dont like ramon… its that we want to bolster the roster to compete in the big 12 …

2 Likes

If Ramon Walker isn’t in the portal by the end of the week then I think he will be staying. The fact that he isn’t already in the portal makes me kinda think he will be staying as I imagine CKS would have already had that conversation with him that he could get more playing time if he transfered else where.

1 Like

Fair point and I understand the logistics behind him entering the portal. I have a hard time letting players go. So if we have two open ships and we fill them with hypothetically LJ Cryer and Graham Ike (or any guard and big) then our roster would be:
Starters:

1. Shead
  2. Cryer
  3. Arceneaux
  4. Roberts
  5. Ike
    Bench:
  6. Wilson
  7. Sharp
  8. Ramon/ Portal Guard?
  9. Francis/ Portal Big?
  10. Jefferson
  11. McFarland
  12. Tugler
  13. Lath

If we want one more player from the portal does it have to be Ramon? I guess if we’re going after wing scoring it would be redundant to have that many guards and Ramon probably wouldn’t play. But are we sure Francis is staying? Let’s Say we have Roberts and Ike getting big minutes and throw in Tugler for some time as well. Can Francis be consistent on the bench? He’ll have to be able to stay in the game and out of foul trouble. We had some foul machines like Chris Harris and Gresham who were able to settle down. We seem to have some talented bigs for our future. Can Francis earn playing time? So my main question is maybe we go after another big in the portal? I mean would you rather have a guard better than Ramon with Francis on the team or vice versa with Ramon and a big better than Francis who can provide valuable minutes from the start and we know will be a contributor?

I say this but I wouldn’t want Francis to leave. I get so attached to the players like I know them!

2 Likes

not necessarily… i dont think he necessarily enters the portal till his replacement is in the bag… powell wasnt in the portal till bowser joined late

even the roster you listed is optimistic… no guarantee we land Ike (one of the best offensive bigs in the portal)

imagine we get some lesser big who isnt as good on offense … are we expecting Cryer to score 25 a night

Shead - not the best scorer
Cryer - elite shooter
Arceneaux - plays scared on offense
Roberts - doesn’t shoot
transfer center- might not be a major scorer

Bench:
Wilson- not very good on offense
Sharp - great offensive potential but young
Ramon - not very good on offense
Francis -

i love ramon as a person, i love how he was cheerful for the team even when demoted… but talking purely basketball i would like some ships to open, and not just one but multiple to get some offensive players in

2 Likes

ok yeah you’re probably right. Perhaps I’m letting my feelings blind my judgement. That’s why I couldn’t be a coach

1 Like

Wake me when something happens in the portal. So far , like last year, lots of talk but I see no visits or action. People on here act like certain players are locks but we see nothing other than a couple players Kellen is following and nothing in regards to any actual visitors.

2 Likes

I think we roll with Roberts, Francis and the two big freshman down low. If we can grab Cryer and a 6’7" wing that can shoot and play some defense then we’re set for another successful year.

Agree on RW. If he’s not in the portal by the end of the week, I think he’s staying.