2023 UH Cougars Baseball Fall Ball / UH Baseball Sweepstakes

I e never heard of a college team having a “Bull pen catcher”.

They usually have the starter and two more that travel and then at home there is 5 or 6 guys….

I guess it’s possible……I could ask my son , he would know for sure.

Isn’t that usually a GA or Volunteer coach ?
A roster catcher is not normally out there w the relievers ?

A good way to get your foot in the door.

I’ve known of several who call it that, but really, the “bullpen catcher” is just one of those guys who isn’t going to travel or get in a game. It’s more of a role than an actual open position within the team.

1 Like

It certainly can be….usually those guys are standing next to them as they warm up in the pen so they can give the coaches in the dugout a thumbs up when pitcher is warm.

Most of the time the catchers that know they are not playing will hang with the bullpen guys….

1 Like

I promise you that Houston has a Bullpen catcher. He was a normal student they recruited to be the BP catcher. He spends all his time in the BP warming guys up. He does travel but he does not take up a roster spot any can’t play.

4 Likes

I heard that there are 27 players who can share the 11.3 scholarships. Another eight can have a locker, uniform/spot, etc. but maybe can’t travel. The 35 spots was key because you can dress for home games. Friend’s son was offered a non-roster spot as BP catcher. I think he would’ve been the fourth catcher.

My daughter wanted to run track at SMU as a walk on. They only had 30 lockers for both CC and T&F and they said they were out of locker space so no spot. Meanwhile at a place like Baylor, they have about 50 in their CC and T&F teams.

Houston would seem to have far more walk-on spots than the private schools or those publics in smaller towns like SFA and Tarleton.

Do we play at TCU or Baylor this year?

I believe you 100%.

No doubts at all.

1 Like

This tracks with what I’ve heard. Some guys would rather go this route and be at their chosen school than choose a D2, D3, NAIA, etc.

Getting to travel as a BP catcher at a major D1 level can be pretty sweet if you’re just in it to stick around baseball or have designs on being a coach.

Abe Arguello comes to mind. He’s listed on the all-time roster in the records book, 1997. I pulled my 1997 media guide and he’s not under players, he listed with the coaches as Bullpen Catcher.

Red-White World Series is Nov. 1-5 at Schroeder Park

And I recall a guy named Nike who was Bullpen Catcher in the early 2000s.

He was good, but he was no Stretch Suba.

3 Likes

Went to high school (Smiley) with Joseph Strech (yep-that is how it was spelled) Suba. Strech was our valedictorian and starting catcher.
I had his dad, James Suba, for health class and driver’s education. He was the baseball coach at Smiley for years, and pitched batting practice for most of the Astros home games (wore uniform #76) up until Strech took over for him in 1978.

3 Likes

That is awesome stuff. I had no idea any of his history, only knew that he was the Astros bullpen catcher forever. And no idea why that was, either.

I guess it was in the blood.

1 Like

Class of 2024’. #1 Ranked LHP out of Colorado.

Just committed to UH Baseball.

9 Likes

Hope he actually makes it to campus. Big 12 helps recruiting

1 Like

1 Like

There are a number of injuries so that is why you don’t see them on the rosters.

https://x.com/uhcougarbb/status/1720153807089447186?s=46

1 Like

Can someone smarter than me paste the Big 12 schedule on here. Thanks in advance!

NM. Saw the previous post.