21-22 season

May be a reason we didn’t go all-in on Kopp. White can space the floor to the three point line now.

1 Like

Rutgers :muscle:. Clutch Three. Can’t wait!

2 Likes

Kopp was not going to play the 4 against all matchups and we over recruited him on the wing. Unless he was okay sitting there was no interest either way.

1 Like

I think once we got Taze Moore, Kopp wasn’t coming.

2 Likes

I don’t thk the Coogs ever seriously recruited him. The rumor just kept getting bigger n bigger wings on coogfans. I won’t mention names. All bc Kellen followed him on Twitter :roll_eyes:. I’ll say it again Kellen follows me on Twitter, big deal he follows anybody! And I have another 6 mos to wait with non- games :exploding_head:.

3 Likes

Him not having us in his Final 3 even as courtesy for his hometown team along with lil bro playing here meant that our staff probably didn’t recruit him hard.

Maybe his down year shooting wise scared coach Sampson & staff. With coach Sampson you need to also play solid defense and not zoned all the time like he did in NW.

Do we know we didn’t go all in on Kopp??

he made a comment in the article before he committed that makes it seem like we are the ones who fell back…
he said these are the 3 teams “that were serious about me” and vice versa of the 20+ that contacted him…then noted oregon states run as a reason he considered them (the team we beat)
just a guess by me, is that we want to stay at 13 and edwards was our last piece…or baker has committed here secretly (waiting for the juco season to end to announce) and we had no ships to keep recruiting kopp

So if you had to guess now you think we keep the last spot open? And we just roll with Robbie. Or we try to fill that spot with someone and have Robbie redshirt ? Do you think we still going hard after Baker ?

the pecking order of the freshman has not been decided …we had this same type of debate with sasser and mills, and sayin sasser would redshirt…sasser ended up being a starter most of the year …its odd people are just putting robbie at the bottom

also something is happening, im not sure what… after major signings we have a presser to talk about them but the staff is holding off on the presser for some reason, someone is coming in or we are about to hire a new staff and want to combined the pressers

Good point pesik. I think the Brooks-replacement will probably be coupled with the signing discussions.

Are there any other Sampson relatives that we could hire that would add to the good karma that family has brought us?

4 Likes

pesik has his hand raised ! :raising_hand_man:

1 Like

He had brothers at other schools. I feel like Kopp and UH had similar feelings he was not a good fit. He will be fine at IU

Yes. Not a great fit!

That’s true. But either way Francis sits so I’m not saying Robbie is at the bottom. Just saying what walker brings we need more than what Robbie brings. If we bring in Baker, I have a hard time believing Robbie players over walker.

1 Like

thats not true at all…we dont need shooting… sasser and edwards are both profilific shooters, taze tho low volume shot it at 50%… if we land baker that’s another catch and shoot 3pt shooter…
what robbie brings is completely unique to what anyone on roster brings… robbie is the only high motor player on roster… i have no clue how fast robbie will adapt to sampsons system and how fast he picks it up…but if he by chance picks it up fast, he could arguably be our best perimeter defender next year

there are no questions that robbie will be a great defender and rebounder… ramon is not a proven rebounder or defender… ive said this before, if its close in defense and rebounding, ramon will clearly be on top with his shooting… if its not close and its ramons shooting vs robbie defense and rebounding… we all know what Sampson would pick

1 Like

Ramon may have been a reason why Kopp didn’t come. Dude can shoot it pretty well but offers more upside than him.

I’m just hoping that all of our young guys (who do not redshirt) will get some playing time. I want our new guys to join part of an escalating system where each year, you gain more playing time and help to elevate themselves and the team for the following season(s). I hope we can avoid a scenario where we have a large number of departures (via graduations/draftings or younger players unhappy and defecting) and need to try to rebuild on-the-fly. Tough juggling act the staff has regarding keeping guys happy.

1 Like

Wait my bad I messed up that last line. I meant if we get Baker I have a heard time seeing Walker play over Robbie. But if we don’t I think Walker plays more

https://twitter.com/bigsloan32/status/1385017773999329283?s=21

4 Likes