5 questions entering the American Athletic Conference

I think we look better on paper. What you point out is the intangibles like chemistry and leadership. It didn’t take long for last years team to establish their roles and play them up. Once Sampson told Grimes he was scorer for that team things were set. I expect this year’s team to have some ups and downs as they figure stuff out.

1 Like

And once Mills hit the road !

2 Likes

The bar for Memphis is really low, people saying “they should be a tournament team” they should be competing for final four run with that level of talent.

1 Like

I have seen plenty 4-5 star players not worthy of Final Four. I will wait and see just how good and skilled these players really are.

Elite level talent + good coaches should be final four standard. Making the tournament shouldn’t even be a thought that should be the floor for them. Unless y’all don’t believe they have good coaching than that’s a difference debate. We don’t even talk about making the tournament at UH that’s a given, we on to bigger and better things. Sampson’s doesn’t even want to talk about the final four anymore

They may be a Final Four contender but hard to make that projection without a tournament under their belt.
There are those highly rated players who come in as instant difference-makers and then there are those who just stands taller or run and jump pretty well.
That’s why I wait to see what their level really is rather than reading the press clippings.

1 Like

Houston, Gonzaga and Michigan are the only schools who have finished Top 20 in KenPom’s efficiency ratings each of the last four years.

2 Likes