8 team playoff on the cards? Very likely!

Playoffs: 12 teams
1-5 are P5 champs
6-7 highest ranked P5 that are not champions
8-12 G5 champions ranked highest to lowest
1 plays 12, 2 plays 11, 3 plays 10 …
remaining 6 teams play highest to lowest
3 teams left , highest ranked gets a bye
then the College Super Bowl

We simply can not schedule the likes of TSU or any other non-D1 team!

I like to think so too, but in the final analysis, it’s all hypothetical. Hindsight is always 20-20, right?

Also, UH in 2016 was an anomaly too, as far as SOS goes. It was a perfect storm but we didn’t get it done. Lots of reasons we all know about.

I still think a G5 making an 8 team playoff is a long shot. Not as long a shot as making a 4 team playoff, but still, always a dark horse.

…but do we really want the other teams not having fair shot???

They’ll screw it up and use phrases like “resume” or “Eye test”, it’ll exclude the G5. Unless it’s conference champions with 3 at large (1 being the top G5) it’ll be BS

This will 100% happen.

ESPN loses viewership because, every year, it is the same teams, especially Alabama and Clemson.

People have become bored with this. The Big 10 and PAC 12 areas have millions and millions of TV sets, yet no one from their conferences to watch.

ESPN will make the expansion happen.

It’s a step in the right direction.

Thinking a G5 team would ever get selected to an 8 team playoff run by a P5 committee is laughable if not downright delusional - unless there’s an auto inclusion for the top G5 in the nation (irregardless of ranking).

Interesting watching the rounds of sports shows today. They all were talking about playoff expansion to 8 teams. Most of them like the ideal now including Paul Finebaum. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Or we can all just enjoy our awesome basketball team, where P5 is not a thing.

1 Like

CFP expansion to eight is getting some valuable airtime on ESPN … GREAT …

The more exposure the more the movement will gain momentum and support …

Interesting if ESPN wanted to shut down any movement towards eight teams then it would not give it any airtime …

1 Like

https://twitter.com/finebaum/status/1072990673601789952

Here we go again. The G5’s have no chance to make the cfp unless the cartel agrees to it.
How many times does it need to be pointed out? This is about money & not about sports or who deserves to be there. Polls are subjective especially when the cfp picks Teams behind closed doors.
The best thing to happen? Let the cartel have the same four to six Teams for the next few years. Let’s see how the paying customers really feel about this scam.
The customer base is going to disconnect at some point. How many times can you explained that an undefeated G5 does not belong? The cartel created this scam of a so called National Championship.
The biggest story in college football this year is if UCF will finish undefeated again. Two National Championships in two years without an invitation to the cartel’s table will be a major negative to the cartel.
The only way to end this is to have litigation with major advertisers supporting this litigation.
Money talks everything else is meaningless.

Uhhh … NOTHING HAS BEEN SET IN STONE YET!!!

WHY would our prez be supporting and talking about going to an eight-team playoff when she and Pez also want us in a P5 …

The eight-team playoff discussions are JUST GETTING STARTED … and … no doubt will be sent through the wringer before anything permanent is decided … and it will be no secret …

That the G5s will have A LOT TO SAY THIS TIME before it is finalized or approved …

I’m guessing ESPN sees $$$ and may also see other media entities possibly getting in on the college football game. Why not renegotiate the playoff contract now, get a longer contract and lock up the CFB playoff before those other media entities have a chance to grab it from them when the current contract expires.

Also, if they have to end up paying more for the American, why not add a G5 rep (that will most likely be from the AAC) while also increasing the possibility of a Cinderella story. Win-Win.

However, I think the only reason the G5 rep is being mentioned in an 8 team scenario is because CFB power-brokers know that there would be Congressional action again if the G5 is left out (like there was in the BCS). Better to throw a bone and hopefully placate those folks before things get out of hand.

America loves a Cinderella story, the little guy overcoming the odds, David and Goliath. What a story that would be for ESPN if the little guy wins out or merely makes it to the final 4.

Sigh…

2015 With conference championship games:

I know they are going to keep the conference championship games even if they go to a 8 team playoff, but I wonder if they would determine the NY6 games before the quarterfinals or after?

I would assume it would be determined before the quarterfinal which means some of those teams would also be in a NY6 game.