A Big Boom Is Coming Soon

Will be interesting to see if any other UF HS recruits or transfers get their NIL deals cancelled or if it just the one kid.

I don’t think even the Supreme Court knew how egregiously the law would be abused since we’ve never in our history seen businessmen throw so much money away on such a speculative return as a 19 year-old ballplayer.

2 Likes

Like this one… $13 million NIL deal “fell apart”…

If it sounds too good to be true…

2 Likes

How is NIL cheating if it is required by law?

Ha, UF lost out on Jadan Rashada because their NIL deal fell through.

UF recruiting is looking pretty bad and their alum are pissed. Of course that begs the question: if you are that mad about it you can help fix it by contributing to the NIL fund.

Response from complainers: Crickets!!

:writing_hand::100:

The only solace about George is that he’s unproven in college. Who knows if he is even good other than being a North Shore alum.

Horn was a different story. Dude was established at USF. I’m not sweating losing on George if Dana is as good as his fan club seem to think.

It’s not abuse, unless you believe fair compensation is abuse.

I know some college sports fans cannot let go of the mentality that players owe schools something (and not the other way around), but you all really need to let it go.

Soda doesn’t cost a nickel, no one reads newspapers, pro athletes make more than teachers, doctors and lawyers (:sob:), and college athletes now must be compensated for use of their name, image and likeness.

If a school doesn’t have the wherewithal to do so, then it should consider dropping its athletic program down a level or eliminating it all together. Who says we even need college sports? Other than ESPN and cantankerous old buzzards who remember their HS playing days, would anybody actually miss it?

3 Likes

You’re hung up on the fairness of it. I’m talking about the purpose of the ruling. You need to step out of your feminine emotional voice and step into you masculine deliberate voice. The ruling was meant to allow amateur athletes to make money off their name and image. The ruling was not meant to allow amateur athletes to exchange their services for money. And that’s exactly what’s going on. These boosters are not paying an athlete for his image…he’s paying him to use his “services” at his school. He has no use for the guy’s image and likeness in his business otherwise.

10 Likes

What you have is rich boosters with massive Ego’s trying to buy the services of a kid talents, usually a bidding war against other competition. They’ll tell this kids anything playing on their naivete. Once the kid is landed, then they want to renegotiate what they agreed to. Kid decides I want out

1 Like

The purpose of a legal system is to allocate contractual obligations; risks and reward.

By nature it is about fairness. A school offers an athlete a scholarship based on his past performance; the NiL is based on the same.

So your statement is a distinction without much difference.

I would add that the DOL is looking at making all college athletes employees, so this whole issue may be moot in a few years.

It’s really interesting to see what form these contractual obligations take. Big contracts often include non-compete agreements. So, if someone signs a NLI, and also a NIL deal, the deal can include a provision that says the employee will not “work” for a “competitor” for a specified period of time if they choose to leave. So, no transfer portal for that “employee”???

Why do y’all care about a college kid making money, or the rich person willing to part ways with some of their own wealth? You should be happy for that kid!

3 Likes

Probably the thousands and thousands of people who have careers in that industry… They might miss it…

The economies of small college towns… They might miss it.

I think most people do not mind a college kids making money. NIL is an good thing in my opinion. My comments are about the sustainability of what is going on now.

I don’t think it’s sustainable at all, but that’s somebody else’s problem. Give the market time to sort itself out. It will stabilize in the next decade as people determine whether or not they are happy with their investments.

1 Like

The NIL is the legal way the ncaa invented to allow historical cheats to keep on cheating. The ncaa never had any power. This has always been an illusion the general public fell into.
The programs that have the most financial power to corrupt the ncaa have always stayed at the top.
Cam Newton before the NIL ruling sold his services to the highest bidder…ALLEGEDIDLY
Auburn got the QB he wanted while others cried because they did not offer more. This WAS NIL money before it was made legal by the corrupt ncaa.
Mr. Eric Dickerson Trans Am by atm WAS what is today’s NIL money
The above examples are just two of many. I asked before if Mr. Fertitta could have one of his friends do the same for us. Some replied that it would be viewed in a bad light.
WHO IS KIDDING WHO?
Really what is the difference for our entire team to be sponsored by Mr. Fertitta than an NIL Georgia contract?
What a bunch of hypocrites.
I could care less if we have our entire team doing sponsoring for Bubba Shrimp and win the National Championship.
The question has to be asked:
Would we be better off if Mr. Fertitta was no longer associated with U of H/board of regents and solely concentrated his efforts into sponsorships?

4 Likes

On cue…

1 Like

I do agree that this is something that often happens. However, it was recently announced that the FTC is about to outlaw all noncompetes/NDAs.

The real interesting thing will be how this impacts the pro leagues: I can see a scenario where some NFL player sues his team and the league for trying to enforce the Franchise Tag. My money is on Lamar Jackson being the first, since (i) he is a QB, (ii) has money and (iii) is young. Now, it could be argued that the Franchise Tag, like the limits in MLB for players in the minors and the NBAs limits on restricted FAs, are collectively bargained and therefore exempt from the anti-trust rules under the NLRB.

If that happens, I wonder if college football would want the DOL to make college athletes employees? In that case, the players would unionize and then the NCAA (who would get some power back) would then negotiate on behalf of every school. They could even negotiate limits on NILs and transfers.

We live in interesting times. As a lawyer and economist, I am excited, but I am also a nerd :laughing:

1 Like

Most successful millionaire folks didn’t come into their money by tripping over it on the street. Return on investment will be in the cards eventually. Once the shininess and newness of this and the who has the biggest pecker subsides, the free market will solve it. That is how I see it. How many 10 million dollar busts until you cannot raise that capital any longer.

Aggie is a cult, but whatever they paid for 4 wins last year with their number 1 recruiting class was probably impactful on their recruiting this year.

1 Like