A future HC possibility

Give it maybe 5-7 years and watch Case come back to coach. Excellent football mind, father was a D3 coach. Just a possibility to throw out there.

1 Like

Why would Keenum want to coach UH? If he fails, our beloved Case would be subjected to criticism by fans thereby spoiling the fond memories he has of UH and vice versa. If he succeeds and decides to move on, then he is criticized by fans thereby spoiling the fond memories he has of UH and vice versa. It’s a lose/lose proposition.

2 Likes

I like Dave Aranda, LSU’s current DC. He’s coached great defenses where ever he’s been. He’s young, 42, so he relates well to the kids (recruiting). He coached here, LB coach in 03 and 04, so he’s been on a staff that’s helped us rebuild before.

4 Likes

Dave Aranda would have to take a 600K pay cut to coach here.

1 Like

Yup he makes 2.5M anually. Im willing to guess we wont be willing to pay him 4 mill or so to coach here. Ive been really impressed with what Neil Brown has been able to do at Troy…3 straight 10 win seasons and several impressive wins over P5 opponents. He only makes 800K a year.

3 Likes

I hope Case doesn’t come here to coach. Unless he had perfect seasons (and even then) he would receive too much ridicule.

1 Like

In 5-7 years you will not recognize the college football world.

2 Likes

How about Jim Leavitt Oregon’s DC?

1 Like

How bout Ricky Logo (The Polynesian Panther) and his “3-4 and hit the shore” Hawaiian blitz scheme.

1 Like

If we want to hire a current DC to be the next HC at UH, then I would certainly be interested in bringing Orlando back. One thing for sure, is that the defense would be significantly improved. Go find a stud OC that can work with King, and your chances for success just improved dramatically. Never have been an Apple fan, and never will.

2 Likes

Not sure Case will come back here to coach; have a feeling he’ll go back to Wylie and coach high school football if he gets into coaching.

2 Likes

Agreed.

I like the idea of going after Troy’s HC.

No need for any coach to have a UH connection or even Texas connections. If you insist on one of those conditions, you shrink your candidate pool to the size of a birdbath. And, who knows if Case will coach, or if he’ll be a good coach? Just find a coach who wins. When he leaves, find another one who wins. If coaches are cold-blooded about advancing their careers, then why shouldn’t we be cold-blooded about our coaching hires?

Brown at Troy is waiting for a better offer down the road. He ain’t coming here.

1 Like

The Texas connection was another crock sold to justify the Applewhite hire. Ruhle up at Baylor has shot that one down. He took over that ash heap with zero Texas ties and seems to have turned it around

5 Likes

Yes. I don’t see mountains of local talent running to Applewhite. But if you listened to Tilman the local coaches are the ones that hired Applewhite.

1 Like

I would rather not hire a current coordinator who has to build a staff from scratch.

Best to hire a current HC (Fritz, Brown, Litrell) who has a staff they can bring with them.

Take too long and too many risk factors in building a staff. If you want someone to build a staff then stick with Applewhite and hope he can hire two guys who have legit game planning skills.

3 Likes

It was a thing before Applewhite. But his connections to coaches in the state was a selling point for sure.

Absolutely. “Texas born and bred. Knows all the H.S. coaches etc etc blah blah blah.”

1 Like

Texas connection isn’t absolutely necessary if you can recruit here. Bob Stoops would be awesome if he would consider it. But would he want to coach again in AAC?..when he could coach any conference. Who does Applewhite consult with besides Texas High School coaches?