A Guy Who Should Have Been More Well Known in Houston

I have a lot of people assigned to me who I never sold a policy. It has forced me to review the obituaries regularly to see if one of them shows up. Many times the family doesn’t even know there’s a policy or they think they have policies that were closed out years ago.

I fount this man’s obit impressive and very interesting

Jack Yates High School

Llayron L. Clarkson, Sr.
1924-2022
A Houston native, World War II veteran and educator, Llayron Clarkson’s motto was “if I can help somebody along the way, then my living will not be in vain.” Clarkson mentored well, nurturing generations of Texas Southern University students and some of America’s most notable leaders.

Dr. Llayron L. Clarkson was born on August 31, 1924, and he passed from this earthly realm on January 29, 2022. Clarkson was the oldest of Llayron and Roxie Clarkson’s three children. His sister, Amelia, predeceased him in 2000. Clarkson was reared in Third Ward, Houston, Texas and learned the virtues of hard work and Christian principles as he became a life-long member of St. John Missionary Baptist Church. Clarkson’s father died when he was only 9 years of age, leaving his mother to take care of three children alone. True to his motto of helping, Clarkson soon started taking odd jobs to help his mother, a domestic worker, support the family. After graduating from Jack Yates High School in 1940, Clarkson joined the National Youth Administration, a program established under President Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal to help combat the problem of youth unemployment by providing them with certain skills. There, Clarkson acquired the skills of carpentry, plumbing and electricity.

In 1943 Clarkson was drafted into the Army and was sent to Europe where he served in North Africa and later in Italy. On March 3, 1947, when the state of Texas established Texas State University for Negroes, (now Texas Southern University,) as the first state university in the city of Houston for African Americans, Clarkson became one of its first students. There, he earned the bachelor’s and master’s degrees in mathematics. Later he enrolled at the University of Texas at Austin and became the first African American to earn a PhD in mathematics from this flagship university. Afterward, he did post- doctoral work at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and attended Stanford University as a Shell Merit Fellow. In addition to his academic accomplishments, Llayron Clarkson was a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity.

Clarkson taught at Jack Yates High School from 1951 -1960, and later accepted a teaching position at Texas Southern University. At TSU, Clarkson held several positions including Head of the Department of Mathematics, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, Vice President of Academic Affairs, Executive Vice President, Director of Campus-Wide Academic and Information Systems, and Director of Institutional Research. Upon retirement from the university, Clarkson served as Chairman and CEO of Clarkson Aerospace, Corp. a research and development engineering firm.

Three children survive Clarkson, Llayron Jr., Pamela, and David (Zeny and son Deuce); two grandsons, Zachary, and Aaron; two great grandchildren Vivian and Roman; one brother Virgil (Barbara); and a host of relatives, and friends who love him dearly.
Clarkson was a strong, kind, caring and gentle man. He was devoted to family, dedicated to the education of Black people, and faithful to his Christian upbringing. The legacy he leaves is that we make a conscious effort to “help somebody.”

His visitation will be held on Saturday, February 5, 2022 at 9:00 AM with the funeral service beginning at 11:00 AM. Both services will be held at St. John Missionary Baptist Church, 2222 Gray St., Houston, Texas 77003. The interment will be private. In lieu of flowers please make contributions to the following website The Llayron L. Clarkson Endowment for Mathematics at Texas Southern University – TSU Giving

2 Likes

Read about him from one of my Facebook friends. Fascinating story.

He clearly lived up to his motto. A life well lived. Good speed Mr. Clarkson

I met Edwin when his son was considering UH during recruiting. He knew so many of the local football players because they came through his Boy Scout Troop. I was committee chair of a troop at the time so we had a lot in common. Interesting guy and was helpful in understanding a segment of the municipal bond market

Edwin Charles
Harrison
1956-2022
Edwin Charles Harrison was born on August 26, 1956, in Ogden, Utah. Reverend Edwin Stafford Harrison and Mrs. Sylvia Willetta Harrison adopted Edwin and brought him to Houston, Texas where he grew up in the Third Ward.
Edwin attended Lockhart Elementary, Miller Junior High School, and graduated from Sharpstown High School.
After graduating, Edwin attended Texas Southern University. During that time, he met Linda Sue White. After earning a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Finance, they were married on July 2, 1983, in Indianola, Mississippi. Immediately, he began his career in finance in Houston working at savings and loan associations. During their marriage, they had two sons, Edwin II and Alexander, and a daughter, RosAnne, who arrived from California in 1992.
His career advanced with a position in the Harris County Office of Financial Services. The couple worshipped at Trinity UMC and Edwin was Scout Leader of Troop 212 at St. James Episcopal Church. He loved sports, especially football. He enjoyed watching Alexander in football and track; RosAnne in tennis, track, and swimming; and Boomer in football and track, and throughout college at University of Colorado, and in the National and Canadian Football Leagues.
Edwin emphasized education and each of his children earned their bachelor’s degree. Under his leadership in Troop 212, his sons and others achieved Eagle Scout rank. He also served on the Boy Scouts Board of Directors for the Sam Houston Area Council. In addition, he and Edwin II were initiated into the Houston Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi in 2008. The fraternity recognized him as an Outstanding Kappa in Finance in a Special Issue of The Journal.
In 2010, Edwin joined Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church where he was appointed to the Board of Trustees. He later served as interim Chief Financial Officer. Edwin helped to form the Ministry of Defense, served as a Small Group Leader, and worked with the Golf Ministry to raise funds for scholarships.
After 22 years, Edwin retired from Harris County in 2011. However, he was committed to developing the Third Ward community, Edwin became Executive Director of Row House Community Development Corporation in 2013. He formerly served on the Row House Board of Directors. He received the Project Row House Community Champion Award in 2017. He worked there until his health began to decline in 2020.
Edwin transitioned on February 4, 2022. He was preceded in death by loving parents, Rev. and Mrs. Edwin S. Harrison; Calvin J. Jones, biological father; and Cecile Edwyna Harrison, aunt. He is survived by: Linda White Harrison, wife; Edwin II (Kishanda) Harrison, son; Alex E. Harrison, son; Sandra (Albert) Harrison Lee, biological mother; Edwin III and Sebastian Harrison, grandsons, all of Houston; and RosAnne (Glenn) Applewhite, daughter; Annice, Glenn and Arrington Applewhite, grandchildren, all of Fresno; Houston, Texas; Alain (Sharon) Lee, brother, Lewisville, Texas; and a host of other family members and special friends.
Visitation and warm expressions will be shared at Mabrie Memorial Mortuary, 4 – 7 pm, Friday, February 11, 2022. Services will be held at Good Hope Missionary Baptist Church, 3015 N. MacGregor Way, 77004 at 12 noon on Saturday, February 12, 2022. Visitation prior to service begins at 11:00 am. For livestream access: www.goodhope.org.

1 Like