AAC vs Big 12

You’re right. CKS never said he wants to stay.
I assumed that from a couple of posts here.

2 Likes

100% this. Given how the committee fawns over the Quad 1 win, we’d have to have significant injury crisis to be at risk of not making it as a B12 team.

2 Likes

Conference affiliation is not much of a factor in basketball than in football.
If you are good, you are good regardless of level of opponents and strength of schedule.
2014 UConn (AAC), 2016 and 2018 Villanova (Big East), and 2013 Louisville (Big East) all won national championships since 2010 despite not being in a major conference.

1 Like

Big East is considered a “power” conference for basketball

2 Likes

I always referred to the Big East as the Catholic school conference before UConn joined.

1 Like

Pesik is talking purely about the tourney, getting there as efficiently as possible with the highest seed. Its a hard argument to refute.

I have also felt it was easier to make the NY6 in football in the G5 than in s P5 conference.

We all like the prestige of the p5 and its accoutrement. But there’s something to be said about being a big fish in s shallow pond from a purely post season perspective.

2 Likes

I only agree with this point if we are the gauntlet we are now and are cruising thru the league. But, let’s say UH is playing NIT level basketball and are considered a low- seed tourney/ bubble team heading to the selection Sunday. Come conference tourney, one mishap early in the AAC tournament and that pretty much kisses our chances of an auto-bid and the conference winner represents the AAC in March Madness. AAC losses are far more damning, while losing close games in the Big 12 won’t carry much weight if the games were competitive.

1 Like

Tulsa beating Tulane is reason #900 why I can’t wait for us to get out of this league lol

2 Likes

Exactly. Remember when we lost 2 in a row last year? That bad week dropped us from a 3 to a 5 seed.

Meanwhile during that same time, Indiana and Xavier went nearly a month with no wins and only dropped 1 seedline lol.

pesik’s original point is correct about making the tourney is way easier from the AAC, but you don’t turn down a big 12 invite.

UH would make the tourney every year going forward from the AAC, UH will not make the tourney every year going forward in the big 12

use Tech as an example, they would make the tourney this season from the AAC, but will not from the Big 12

1 Like

I would say that if UH has more than 8 losses as an AAC member, then we are not making the NCAA tournament barring a conference tournament championship.

If UH has 8 or more losses as a Big 12 member, then we still have a chance to make the tourney.

Thats the beauty of the aac…NIT level basketball will be inflated to a ncaa tourney team…

you have a point that there is a line of demarcation where after a certain level of bad you are better off the in the big 12… but under sampson i just dont think we will ever reach that line …

look at our game vs temple last year, which was right after we lost mark and sasser…putting on the game film that was Terrible basketball by us, we looked really bad… not only did we win we won the next 10 aswell gradually getting better…becuase even us adjusting is still better than the majority of the aac. before conference play ever single big 12 team was a top 40 team, ranked higher than memphis last year

1 Like

I’d push back on that. I don’t think Tech would be a lock at all to make the tourney playing out of the AAC. I actually think their path would be harder because they have to play a bunch of dangerous road games that would tank their metrics if they lose.

3 Likes

UH ain’t losing 8 games in the AAC, and Tech would go about 15-3 in the AAC

1 Like

agreed, not saying we should turn down the invite. just that i probably have a preference for the aac in a not real hypothetical sense in the type of league i prefer… the big 12 is game changing for the program as a whole especially football, and athletics as the marketing branch of the university

100% this. If Tech was in the AAC, they would have just 2 Q1 games

They’d could easily drop 5-6 games in the AAC and if Tech went 12-6 they’d be on the wrong side of the bubble. They notched zero notable wins in the non-conference. They need the Q1 opps and the AAC just doesn’t offer that many.

2 Likes

but Tech would beat almost all of the AAC teams and have about 6 losses on the year, they would be in the tourney.

this board will explode the first time UH starts a big 12 conference season 2-5

Sure but it’ll also explode the first time we knock off Kansas

1 Like