About time

Time to start basing health insurance premiums on physical fitness as well.

Let the weight shaming begin!!

Why do you think Airlines should be weighing passengers and their luggage? How does it make your trip easier/better, etc.

1 Like

Some of you guys better lose weight or you won’t be able to afford to fly.

LOL. All U.S. flights would be delayed or canceled if this were to be implemented here.

1 Like

The weights for take-offs and landings determine what can go on the plane. Back in early 7’s when I worked for Texas International, the weights were based on averages with 130 pounds for women and 180 for men. Also included are fuel burn off weight. Basically each degree of temperature, plus destination elevation, and freight weight had an impact. You could have more during cold weather than hot weather. I was a station agent in Baton Rouge and had to calculate the take-off and landing figures and present 2 calculator sheets attached to the weather printout for both takeoff site and destination plus fuel on board and all of those things plus a couple more included in calcs.

People are larger today than in 1970 and a more accurate account is necessary because you want the plane to rotate on take-off when supposed to and not be overloaded when arriving at destination.

So the pilots can accurately determine if the planes total weight is within allowable tolerance and calculate center of gravity for the plane. This is important for the safety and stability of the flight.

1 Like

They used to for individual health insurance until Obamacare. Then it was guaranteed insurability. Texas had a risk pool for the unhealthy which was pretty good. Group health & life plans provide guaranteed insurability using higher premiums on young & healthy to subsidize the unhealthy & old.

Pre-Obamacare my mother couldn’t get health insurance for several years in the 90s because she previously had cancer. Also, we paid an insane premium because my daughter was born with only one kidney, even though she’d never had an issue because of it (only found out due to routine ultrasound). Oh, and they weren’t covering anything in her entire renal system because of it.

The ACA wasn’t a complete fix but Eff the old system.

3 Likes

So planes aren’t safe right now because we don’t know the exact weight of the passengers? How many disasters has this already caused?

Finally!

You weren’t aware of the Texas Risk Pool?

You mean the risk pool that also had exclusions for pre-existing conditions? That risk pool?

1 Like

No idea. I assume though they’ve been adjusting over time for avg passenger weights and what not. I’ve never felt something off like that on a commercial flight. I just know the calcs are important.

Weight? How bout we measure his width

1 Like

No. Texas risk pool did not have exclusions. Oh, I forgot, you’re the insurance authority.

2 Likes

Not really an affordable option, even in Texas.