Acceptance difference from 1985 to today

Huge change from when i was growing up. This is a stat stood out,

“Similarly, 64% of adults said in 1985 that they would be very upset if they had a gay or lesbian child compared with 14% today.”

Progress. Some people flight it, some people want to turn back the clock.

2 Likes

Hate to admit it but in 1985 I would have been upset to find out a FRIEND was gay.

We were an overtly racist, homophobic, misogynistic society back then. It was just built into TV and movies, to say the least.

3 Likes

I didn’t have any hate in me but sadly, I used homophobic terms throughout the 80s and 90s.

I admit I also used those terms and likely treated some people badly in middle school. I certainly became more accepting as an adult and can’t remember the last time I used one of those slurs, actually can’t remember the last time I heard someone I know use one of those slurs either. Wait I did hear a lesbian I know use one but not in a negative way.

progress, lol, more like dysfunctionality is more accepted these days.

I mean… we accept your presence on this board so I guess you’re right in one way.

6 Likes

I figured you would be the first one to show ignorance here. You certainly were one of the people mentioned in my post. We can always count on you to share your sad homophobia on Coogfans.

2 Likes

I lived in Htown as a kid but went to HS in Kansas. 1984 I visited Houston and an old friend told me sometimes guys he knew would go down to the Montrose and “roll fags”.

“WTF was that?” I asked.

“That’s when you get a car full of guys and lure a gay dude close, then get out of the car and beat the crap out if them.”

Yea, we’ve come a bit of a distance.

Also 1984…

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/integration-did-not-come-to-hisd-until-1984-1512348.php

ouch

2 Likes

I watched the original seasons of SNL when Peacock was launched and there were a lot of gay jokes on the show in those days. You would never see that in mainstream media today.

" New American Standard Bible
“In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets."

The Golden Rule. You either do not believe in this core tenet of your supposed beliefs, or you are a masochist.

Well adjusted people have less time for hate.

1 Like

That’s not a bad summation of where I was too back then; glad I’ve grown a little bit more in that
area. Also had some very racist relatives in the form of several uncles back in the day.

2 Likes

Yep. I well remember being invited to drive over to Montrose with some guys to “beat the crap” out of some gay guys. Wasn’t interested.

Its my opinion, you can believe what you want, you are part of the group that believes that castration of children is a good idea.

“For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. Their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural, and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in their own persons the due penalty for their error” (Rom. 1:26–27).

“Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor sexual perverts, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God” (1 Cor. 6:9–10).

“Now we know that the law is good, if any one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, immoral persons, sodomites, kidnappers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine” (1 Tim. 1:8–10).

That didn’t at all address his point. You can consider something a sin and still treat people well.

That said, do you frequently go after the other sins listed in those verses? For example: adulterers, liars, immoral, revilers, greedy, etc.

Or do you consider those lesser?

2 Likes

That could awkward really quick if he weighted all the sins the same.

1 Like

You are off topic, ban user for 3 days mods.

Do you ever stand up for your Christian beliefs?