AI Being Used For HS & College Papers?

Cheating just gets more sophisticated

The hardest worker in academia today is ChatGPT. Over the last year, high school and college students turned in over 22 million papers that used some form of generative AI, according to data from Turnitin, which detects plagiarism and AI in schoolwork.

It’s been about a year and a half since generative AI tools like ChatGPT flooded the internet, and English departments were forced to add “bots” next to “SparkNotes” and “69 jokes” on the long list of things to look out for in personal essays. So, in response, Turnitin and other education companies created AI detection tools for teachers.

• Turnitin claims its detector has reviewed more than 200 million papers.
  • Of those, 11% of papers may be 20% written by AI, while 3% of papers contain at least 80% AI-generated writing.

Educators are still hesitant to embrace AI detection

Experts say AI detection software isn’t as reliable as services that call out plagiarism—and false positives can harm a student’s academic career. The software itself may even contain bias about what it thinks is AI-written: A study last year found that seven AI-detecting tools had a 61% false positive rate when reviewing exams that test nonnative English speakers applying to colleges.

This study didn’t include Turnitin, which claims its false positives rate is around 1%. The company also stresses that its AI tool is not definitive.

Purdue University told instructors to be careful about accusing students of using AI with only Turnitin as proof, while other schools like Vanderbilt, Northwestern, and Montclair have told educators to stop using the AI detector entirely. The software itself has been described by administrators as a “black box” with no clear methodology for how it detects bot-written content.

Bottom line: AI regulation in the education system (like everywhere else) is a hodgepodge of vague rules that can’t quite keep up with how fast the technology is moving.—MM

I heard a story that someone put the Declaration of Independence through an AI detection program and it flagged it as AI generated.

2 Likes

Without thinking too hard, don’t those statistics indicate that only 2% of the papers are AI-generated (98% human generated)?

A win for the humanities!!!

1 Like

Using a tool to do work for you, sounds like all of human existence

3 Likes

My son is a sophomore in high school. His school uses turnitin. It claimed that 20% of his creative writing assignment was done on AI. I know for a FACT that he didn’t use any AI tools. I was in the room with him when he wrote the paper. The passage that was highlighted as Ai, I literally watched him type it.

3 Likes

So how does the school handle that?

Maybe you should storm into the school, and tell them, “I know it wasn’t AI-generated because I WROTE IT FOR HIM!!!” :joy:

3 Likes

It’s hard. The compromise was she took 20 points off the paper. It wasn’t what I wanted, but it’s better than a 0

1 Like

That doesn’t sound like a compromise.

How do you defend yourself against a false accusation? That’s rough.

School has “proof” but it’s false evidence.

How can the school defend its use of the AI detector that has false positives?

The first article that came up on a Google search was this from Vanderbilt University, explaining why they are disabling turnitin’s AI detector. Guidance on AI Detection and Why We’re Disabling Turnitin’s AI Detector | Brightspace Support | Vanderbilt University

Turnitin says they have a 4% false positive rate at the sentence level, 1% at the paper level. Whatever that means. Vanderbilt said they submitted 75,000 papers for review in 2022, which meant 750 students could have been falsely accused of cheating in one year. Unacceptable.

2 Likes

Teachers using AI to do their work of stopping students from using AI to do their work

8 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

I don’t think the AI is grading the papers, its just a plagiarism detector, which my kids schools have had them do for any papers turned in, since starting in high school.

1 Like

Ask AI to write you lyrics for a song about (fill in the blank). It is scary.

It can be as silly as a song about hot dogs and then you think that is a pretty good song about hot dogs.

I challenge you to write a song about hot dogs that’s NOT good.

EDIT – I accepted my own challenge. ChatGPT wrote this in a fraction of a second:

Open sidebar
ChatGPT 3.5

Me:
write a bad song about hot dogs

ChatGPT
(Verse 1)
Sitting in the sun, feeling kinda groggy,
Got a craving deep inside, feeling kinda foggy.
Stomach’s rumbling, can’t ignore the call,
Gonna satisfy it, gonna eat them all.

(Chorus)
Hot dogs, oh hot dogs,
Soggy buns and mystery meat,
Can’t resist that greasy treat.
Hot dogs, oh hot dogs,
Heartburn’s coming, can’t you see?
But I’ll still eat you, endlessly.

(Verse 2)
Ketchup, mustard, pile it high,
Cholesterol rising, gonna touch the sky.
Who cares about health when you’re feeling fine,
Gonna eat hot dogs, every single time.

(Chorus)
Hot dogs, oh hot dogs,
Hot dogs, oh hot dogs,

(Bridge)
Some say they’re gross, some say they’re vile,
But when it comes to hot dogs, I’ll walk that extra mile.
No matter the price, no matter the cost,
I’ll always choose hot dogs, no matter how lost.

(Chorus)
Hot dogs, oh hot dogs,
Hot dogs, oh hot dogs,

4 Likes

Point taken. Timmy cuts through the bourgeoisie BS and makes it real. Oh sh*t that was an acid flashback….Yeah good point Timmy.

See if Pete Townshend put music to that it would match Baba O’Reily

1 Like

Bad, but not bad enough:

Sitting in the sun, feeling kinda groggy,
Got a craving deep inside, feeling kinda foggy.
Stomach is a-rumbling, gonna eat a doggy,
Make it foot-long one, I’m just that kind of hoggy.

3 Likes

If Pete Townsend had AI he would have typed in a song about oatmeal.

It would have been:

Out here in the fields
I eat my oatmeal

Brilliant!!!

See anyone can be Paul McCartney.

I promise you every song writer is using AI and taking its work and slightly modifying it to be a little cooler.

Same thing with movie scripts.

The creativity is going to be in the music. AI hasn’t proven to be adept at music. Lyrics yes, music no.

But even in lyrics AI has proven to be adept but not clever.

That is outstanding!!!

1 Like

Don’t tell me AI isn’t changing the world