All FBS conferences, ND agree to next CFP contract

The financial distribution for the expected 14-team playoff will look radically different from that of its playoff predecessor. On an annual basis, for example, the Big Ten and SEC will be making more than $21 million per school, a number that’s up from the nearly $5.5 million the Power 5 leagues are currently being paid.

In the ACC, the schools will get more than $13 million annually, and the Big 12 will get more than $12 million per school. Notre Dame is expected to get more than $12 million as well, and sources tell ESPN there will be a financial incentive for any independent team that reaches the CFP. (There will no longer be a participation bonus for any of the other leagues – a detail that was frustrating to some leaders in the Group of 5.)

The Group of 5 schools (the American, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West and Sun Belt) revenue will increase to just under $1.8 million from the current $1.5 million. According to multiple sources, AAC commissioner Mike Aresco has been the most outspoken critic of the plan but hasn’t been able to garner enough support from other commissioners to fight it.

We are no where close to the $50mm plus per school they predicted for Big 12.

Hmmm . . .

$31.7M TV football + basketball
$12.0M CFP
$4M March Madness
‐‐-------------
$47.7M per school

4 Likes

Is that just football, does it include the BB Tournament?

MM is March Madness and TV is football and basketball.

1 Like

Thanks, it may not be $50 million but $47.7 Million is more than we’ve ever gotten.

9 Likes

Several times more.

5 Likes

No doubt… we ought to continue to be thrilled and thankful we are in the Big 12 [and keep busting our butts to stay in it competively]. Amazing how quickly we can forget the last 30 years…

5 Likes

12M per school. We get 2 slots.

2 Likes

exactly, that plus other conference generated revenue. I’d say closer to 50-52 million.

4 Likes

That is the base payout to every Big 12 school, then the teams that make the CFP get an additional amount. That’s the way I understand it.

2 Likes

I guess 47.7mm is close to 50mm… hopefully we can get additional 3mm+ from basketball side

1 Like

I love that ND gets $12 Mil just for existing and an extra $6 if they make the playoffs. Why does all of FBS keep playing ND’s game? Even from SEC POV, why not take a few extra 100K each and force ND to commit somewhere.

5 Likes

Notre Dame is a true blue blood.

They have a nationwide fanbase & alumni, historical (and continued) dominance, money, power… etc.

They are a unicorn in CFB land. Name another school that has remained a blue blood since the beginning of time that still remains a blue blood outside of Texas and USC?

It’s not fair, but it could be so much worse…

From the perspective of UH and not the conference as a whole, this is the best position that UH has ever been since the SWC.

I’m satisified.

Go Coogs. Let’s win a championship!

3 Likes

Thats the thing for us as well as the other 3 we came in with, this is still by far the best we have been in many decades.

How is ND==P2 justified? They are getting the same money as Big12 members.

It’s just one of those unspoken rules, and ND literally has a Big 10 invite at their door whenever they want to open it

1 Like

I believe the $47.7M included all revenue sources, TV, CFP, and NCAA. But the number could get higher if the Big 12 puts more than 2 teams in the playoffs and/or Big 12 teams make it to higher rounds.

4 Likes