American Stories: Holgorsen, King Pairing Scores Well at Houston

King is healthy again and ready to go under his third new coach of his college career – a coach who is making plans to minimize risk to keep King on the field.

“I had to back him off a little bit,’’ Holgorsen said. “He’s a guy that wants to pull the trigger. He’s made comments to me that sometimes he feels like he needs to run a guy over to juice the team up. I was like, ‘No, you don’t need to do that. You need to get a first down and get out of bounds.’”

Holgorsen is not about to lose his ultimate weapon. ‘He probably won’t account for 50 touchdowns again,’’ Holgorsen said. “But hopefully we’ll score a lot more than that as a team.’’

4 Likes

I hope not. Turn him loose. He is our Seabisquit.

3 Likes

I missed the highlights of King running over people?

By them and around them, making them spin in circles, yes. This is part of his skill set. Don’t store a Corvette in the garage just so you can go and look at it.

3 Likes

And, by the same token don’t run the Corvette all out so that you blow the engine before the warranty period even expires. If he chooses to do so, my brother can tell us an interesting story about Bob (his roommate) who had just gotten back from Vietnam and bought a brand new 1967 L88 Corvette over at Richardson Chevrolet and then proceeded to blew the engine within a couple of days (?) or weeks because it had some valve clatter at around 150 MPH and they didn’t want to fix it. [Not sure what that brand new racing engine that GM shipped down here next cost them, but I’ll bet it wasn’t cheap!]

My point (and likely CDH’s point) is all things in moderation!

3 Likes

Please stop. Don’t compare King to a 1930s championship horse or a high performance sports car.

He’s D’Eriq King, a highly talented UH QB that we are darn glad is coming back in his senior season to lead the team. I trust Dana Holgersen will figure out how to maximize his talents without putting him in harms way.

2 Likes

I hope so but King’s threat in addition to his arm has always been his wheels. I hope we don’t have to lose that to be effective.

1 Like

Captain Obvious and the President of Society Against Metaphors in Sports weighing in.

1 Like